Discover the Benefits of a TI-89 Calculator: Storage, Note-Taking & More!

• Calculators
  • Thread starter TMNT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-83 Ti-89
In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between the TI-89 and TI-83 calculators, particularly in terms of storing equations, notes, and showing work. It was mentioned that the TI-89 has a symbolic solver and the ability to store notes, but it is important to read the manual to fully understand its features. Overall, the TI-89 is considered to be more powerful than the TI-83.
TMNT
I got mine recently, I haven't used it as much, because I still have a TI-83, someone told me that with a 89 you can store equations, notes and it shows all of your work? Is that true, because I heard this from two different individual, and a third person told me that it doesn't show all of your work? So I would like all of your input on this, and what's your opinion about an 89 and what's the difference between a 89 and a 83?

Computer science news on Phys.org
All of your questions can be answered by reading the manual. Overall, it is quite safe to say that the TI-89 is far more powerful than the TI-83.

If you look at the guide for the calculator here:
http://education.ti.com/guidebooks/graphing/8992p/8992bookeng.pdf

You will see that one of it's features is a symbolic solver. If that is what is meant by "shows all of the work." No solver I know of shows intermediate steps. You request an operation, i.e. factor, and you get an answer.

Storing equations is something that has been around a long time. So that is nothing new. As far as notes, on my old calculator, where you could write programs, we used to store notes.

Seriously. If you're going to drop over $150 on a calculator, doesn't it make sense to read the manual?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys thanks for the information, I got the 89 durring the summer of 06, at that time I was working 65+ hours a week, and when school came I cut down but I did not have time to read the manual, my 07 spring sem I didn't take any math classes, I'm now looking into section by section, but I just thought I'd ask, so yea in a way it is my fault for not reading the manual, but I hope you guys can understand my circumstances.

1. What is a TI-89 calculator and what is it used for?

The TI-89 calculator is a graphing calculator developed by Texas Instruments. It is used for solving mathematical equations, graphing functions, and performing statistical calculations.

2. How do I reset my TI-89 calculator?

To reset your TI-89 calculator, press the "2nd" button followed by the "MEM" button. Then, select "Reset" and press "Enter" to confirm the reset.

3. Can I download apps or programs on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a built-in Flash memory that allows you to download and install apps and programs from the internet.

4. How do I transfer files from my computer to my TI-89 calculator?

You can transfer files from your computer to your TI-89 calculator using a USB cable or a TI connectivity cable. You will also need to download and install the TI Connect software on your computer.

5. What is the difference between the TI-89 and TI-89 Titanium?

The TI-89 Titanium is an upgraded version of the TI-89 calculator with additional features such as more memory, a faster processor, and a built-in USB port for easier file transfers.