Why is AC cheaper to generate than DC?

• Thread starter R0nin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary, AC costs less to generate than DC because it is more efficient and can be easily stepped up or down using transformers. However, AC does not inherently generate more energy than DC - the potency is determined by the voltage, not the type of current. Additionally, there is no such thing as an "AC battery".
R0nin
Hey guys! Novice physics scholar here who's studying electronics on his downtime. I have some questions concerning AC and DC. If you guys could answer them (simplistically please, I still have a lot to learn :P) I'd really appreciate it.

I'm reading here that 'AC costs less to generate then DC'. Why is that? If anything, I'd think that DC would be cheaper and easier to use. After all, wouldn't it require MORE energy to constantly alternate the direction of a current, as opposed to simply letting a current run a direct course, as it does in DC?

Now, new question... AC current DOES typically generate MORE energy then DC, right? Since the direction of current is constantly being mixed up, the SAME electrons end up traveling a FARTHER distance. Whereas in DC, because the direction of current is so linear, it would seem as if the electrons reach the opposite battery terminal far more quickly then they would in AC, thus lending a shorter 'current life' to DC then to AC. In other words, if you have a 10 V AC battery and a 10 V DC battery, the AC battery would last far longer then the DC.

Am I correct here? Or am I just not making any sense at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
R0nin said:
I'm reading here that 'AC costs less to generate then DC'. Why is that? If anything, I'd think that DC would be cheaper and easier to use. After all, wouldn't it require MORE energy to constantly alternate the direction of a current, as opposed to simply letting a current run a direct course, as it does in DC?
AC costs less to generate because the simplest and most efficient generator designs are AC designs but that is not the primary reason that power companies distribute AC. The primary reason is that AC voltage can be easily stepped up and down using transformers. High voltage power can be transmitted long distances with low losses, but is too dangerous for household use. Using AC makes it easy to step the voltage down to a less dangerous level when it reaches the consumers.

R0nin said:
Now, new question... AC current DOES typically generate MORE energy then DC, right?
No. AC motors are simpler and more efficient for the same reasons that AC generators are simpler and more efficient but AC does not inherently pack more punch.
The AC sources you are familiar with are household circuits that are either 110 or 220 volts. The most common DC sources are batteries that range from 1.5 to 12 volts. The AC sources are more potent but it is because the voltages are higher, not because they are AC. 110 volts DC would be just as potent as 110 volts AC.

R0nin said:
if you have a 10 V AC battery
I don't and neither does anyone else. There is no such thing as an AC battery.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is characterized by a constantly changing direction of flow, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC is typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is commonly used for electronic devices.

2. Which type of electricity is safer for household use?

In general, DC electricity is considered safer for household use because it is less likely to cause electric shock. This is because AC electricity changes direction and can cause muscle contractions, making it harder to let go of a shock. However, both types of electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly.

3. Can AC and DC be converted into each other?

Yes, AC and DC can be converted into each other using devices called rectifiers and inverters. Rectifiers convert AC to DC, while inverters convert DC to AC. This is how electronic devices that run on DC power, such as laptops and smartphones, can be plugged into AC outlets.

4. Which type of electricity is more efficient?

AC electricity is generally considered more efficient for long-distance power transmission because it can be easily stepped up or down using transformers. However, DC electricity is more efficient for short-distance transmission and is often used in data centers and renewable energy systems.

5. What are some examples of devices that use AC and DC electricity?

Some common examples of devices that use AC electricity are household appliances, such as refrigerators and washing machines, as well as power tools and industrial machinery. Devices that use DC electricity include smartphones, laptops, and electric vehicles.