Questions about catalysts

1. Can someone explain what type if nickel catalyst they used in this http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2010/March/16031001.asp experiment? Is it literally just nickel or is it a nickel compound? When someone says they used an xmetal catalyst is it literally just that metal or are all compounds containing that metal collectively called an xmetal catalyst?

2. jcsd
  3. Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Any idea where I could find the article free on the web? It looks like it costs money and it'll take my schools librarian a while to get it.

5. If you search on Google/Google Scholar for articles, you can often find author reprints posted on their personal/departmental websites, as was the case here (PDF document).

6. Cool thank you very much. I had no idea.

7. Probably a stupid question but the catalyst they used was Ni(NO3) hexahydrate, that has a boiling point of 136.7 degrees Celsius shouldn't it have all evaporated and been useless by the time they got the material to 1160 degrees Celsius?

8. Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is an ionic salt, my bet is that what is happening is on melting it dissolves in its own hydration water and then the hydration water boils out, leaving anhydrous salt behind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted