Questions About Chemical Engineering at UC San Diego

• Thread starter zachucsd
  • Start date
In summary: I found out later that I really liked it.In summary, chemical engineers use math to solve problems in industrial processes.
zachucsd
Questions about ChemE??

I have questions regarding Chemical Engineering, which I am considering as a major at UC San Diego.
I am good at math but I did not particularly enjoyed my math classes in high school. Probably because I didn't study a lot.

I think science is fascinating, and chemical engineers can become involved in lots of science fields such as materials/chemical science, technology and computers, the petroleum industry, and even drug and biological research.
I took AP Calculus AB and it didn't kill me. It was differential equations but not to the extent of a full year of college calculus. I pulled of an A in class and a 5 on the test but I didn't enjoy it.

Do chemical engineers use more math than science?
And when people say "SO MUCH MATH!," what level of math and what kinds of math?

Thanks for any advice regarding Chemical engineering.

Engineering news on Phys.org

chemical engineers will commonly utilize transport equations (heat, mass, etc.) to describe industrial processes. these involve solving differential equations.

you'll be hard pressed to find any engineering or science major that doesn't involve significant amounts of math, though some are easier than others.

don't worry so much about it, in my opinion.

Ok as a sophmore let me tell you that ChemE is one of the most monotonous things you'll ever study flow rates, temperatures, pressures, valves, pipes and that sort of stuff.
That being said i think its one of the few field where you get to study all three sciences with math. As for the math I think the most complicated thing you l take is solving Differential Equations.
Youll have all sorts of design projects on how to synthesize chemicals on a large scale, designing the reactors, their economics, efficiency, etc.
I tend to hink of it as a specialized form of business but that's what engineering is fixing problems so that you deliver the product.
Opportunities are immense as all industries need process engineers, good pay and mobility.
If you are interested in becoming a project manager, process engineer or somethn of the sort, its ideal.

Don't even worry about the math and go for it. If you passed the AP test with a 5 you have already learned almost all the math, you just apply it now in all sorts of fun scenarios.

Differential equations aren't the most fun but it sure beats electrical engineering...

You need solid calculus, differential equations skills...
But you will have plenty of time to improve these skills, so go for it.
It's not much math at all, in fact I wish we had more math

1. What is Chemical Engineering and what does it involve?

Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that uses principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design and operate industrial processes that convert raw materials into useful products. It involves a combination of laboratory work, computer modeling, and process design to develop and optimize processes for the production of chemicals, fuels, pharmaceuticals, and other products.

2. What makes the Chemical Engineering program at UC San Diego unique?

The Chemical Engineering program at UC San Diego offers a highly interdisciplinary curriculum that integrates fundamental principles of chemical engineering with cutting-edge research in areas such as nanotechnology, biotechnology, and sustainable energy. It also provides students with hands-on experience through laboratory courses and research opportunities, as well as access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.

3. What are the career opportunities for Chemical Engineering graduates from UC San Diego?

Chemical Engineering graduates from UC San Diego have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, energy, materials, and consumer products. They can work in various roles such as process engineers, research and development scientists, project managers, and consultants. Graduates also have the option to pursue advanced degrees in academia or research.

4. Are there any specific research areas or concentrations within the Chemical Engineering program at UC San Diego?

Yes, the Chemical Engineering program at UC San Diego offers several research areas and concentrations for students to specialize in. These include nanotechnology, biotechnology, systems and control, materials science and engineering, energy and sustainability, and environmental engineering. Students have the opportunity to work closely with faculty members on cutting-edge research projects in these areas.

5. Can students participate in internships or co-op programs during their studies at UC San Diego?

Yes, UC San Diego has a strong network of industry partnerships and offers opportunities for students to participate in internships or co-op programs during their studies. These programs provide students with valuable hands-on experience and can lead to potential job opportunities after graduation. The Career Services Center also offers resources and support for students to find internships and job opportunities in their field of study.