Understanding Commutators in Quantum Mechanics: General and Specific Questions

• Thread starter Drew Carey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutators
In summary, the answer to the specific question is no, not necessarily. For vector operators, if they commute with H then \vec A \cdot \vec B also necessarily commutes. However, for scalar operators, the answer is not always clear.
Drew Carey
Hi all,
My motivation is understanding some derivations in Quantum Mechanics, but I think my questions are purely algebraic. I have a general question and then a specific one:

General Question - when writing the commutator of commuting vector and a scalar operators (for instance angular momentum and some Hamiltonian) - [itex][\vec A,H]=0[/itex] - what is meant by this *exactly*? I see two possible answers:

1. [itex][A_i,H]=0[/itex] for [itex]i=1,2,3[/itex]
2. [itex][A_1+A_2+A_3,H]=0[/itex] in which case we could have [itex][A_i,H]\ne0[/itex] for some [itex]i[/itex] .

It seems to me that in the QM context almost always what is meant is the first option but I'm not certain...

Specific Question - if [itex]\vec A[/itex] and [itex]\vec B[/itex] commute with [itex]H[/itex], does [itex]\vec A \cdot \vec B[/itex] also necessarily commute? If the answer to the question above is #1, then obviously it does. If the answer is #2 then I guess not?

Would greatly appreciate the clarifications. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
General question:
Definitively option 1.
Never in physics you will see such a thing as A1+A2+A3.
Such a quantity has no general meaning.
It is not independent of the frame of reference and physics is independent of the choice of the frame of reference.

Specific question:
The answer is no, not necessarily.
Do you think that A and B being vectors would play a role in the answer to your question?
At least, for scalar operators, the answer is clearly no.

H is a scalar operator, i.e:

[tex][\vec{A}, H ] = \vec{A}H - H\vec{A} = (A_1H,A_2 H , A_3 H) - (HA_1,HA_2,HA_3)[/tex]

So indeed it's the first case.

maajdl said:
General question:
Definitively option 1.
Never in physics you will see such a thing as A1+A2+A3.
Such a quantity has no general meaning.
It is not independent of the frame of reference and physics is independent of the choice of the frame of reference.

Specific question:
The answer is no, not necessarily.
Do you think that A and B being vectors would play a role in the answer to your question?

Can you please elaborate on the second part. What do you mean by " for scalar operators, the answer is clearly no."?
If [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] commute with [itex]H[/itex] then: [tex][AB,H]=A[B,H]+[A,H]B=0[/tex]
If the answer to my first question was #1, then for vector operators [itex]\vec A[/itex] and [itex]\vec B[/itex] that commute with [itex]H[/itex] we would have: [tex][\vec A \cdot \vec B,H]=[A_1B_1,H]+[A_2B_2,H]+[A_3B_3,H][/tex] and equals zero by the previous case.

Drew Carey said:
if [itex]\vec A[/itex] and [itex]\vec B[/itex] commute with [itex]H[/itex], does [itex]\vec A \cdot \vec B[/itex] also necessarily commute?
yes, because
[tex]\left[\sum_iA_iB_i,H\right] = \sum_i\left(A_i[B_i,H]+[A_i,H]B_i\right) = 0[/tex]
as you said.

(except for quantization anomalies in quantum field theories)

maajdl said:
?

Where's the problem? Can you please provide a counterexample?

Last edited:
Bad reading of the initial post!

maajdl said:
Bad reading of the initial post!
proof style!

What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical structure used to measure how much two operations "commute" or can be rearranged. It is typically represented by the notation [A,B], where A and B are two operations.

Why are commutators important?

Commutators are important because they allow us to understand how different operations interact with each other. They are particularly useful in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What are some real-world applications of commutators?

Commutators have many applications in various fields. In physics, they are used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. In electrical engineering, they are used to understand the behavior of electric circuits. In computer science, they are used to analyze algorithms and data structures.

How do you calculate a commutator?

The calculation of a commutator involves performing the operations A and B in different orders and then subtracting the results. Mathematically, it can be represented as [A,B] = AB - BA.

What is the relationship between commutators and symmetries?

Commutators are closely related to symmetries, as they are used to measure how much a system is symmetric or how much symmetry is broken. In quantum mechanics, commutators are used to determine the symmetry properties of a system, and in group theory, commutators are used to generate new symmetries.