Are My Electrochemistry Homework Answers Correct?

• Thread starter mikesown
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses a multi-question homework assignment and asks for guidance and confirmation on the answers. The first question is about balancing a reaction in acidic solution, and the second question asks for the oxidation and reduction half-reactions, net reaction, and cell voltage for a voltaic cell involving Mg and Ag. The third question involves determining the free energy value and equilibrium constant for the voltaic cell. The final question asks about the oxidation state of metal X in a molten state after a current of 10.0 amperes is run through an electrolytic cell for 2.00 hours.
mikesown
This is a multi-question homework which I want to see if I understand fully. I have attempted as much as I can of it, and would appreciate it if members here could tell me if my answers are correct and if not could guide me in the direction. Thanks in advance.

1. Balance the following reaction that occurs in acidic solution
Question: [tex]S^{-2} + NO_{3}^{-1} -> NO_{2} + S_{8}[/tex]
Answer(correct?): [tex] 32H^{+} + 16NO_{3}^{-} + 8S^{-2} -> S_{8} + 16NO_{2} + 16H_{2}O[/tex]

[tex]Mg^{+2} + 2e^{-} -> Mg [/tex] E cell = -2.38V
[tex]Ag^{+1} + 1e^{-} -> Ag [/tex] E cell = 0.80V
a. Write the oxidation half reduction, reduction half reduction, and the net reaction and calculate E cell.
Answer(correct?):
Oxidation: [tex]Mg -> Mg^{+2} + 2e^{-}[/tex] 2.38V
Reduction: [tex]Ag^{+1} + 1e^{-} -> Mg[/tex] .80V
Net: [tex]Mg+2Ag^{+1} -> Mg^{+2} + 2Ag[/tex] 3.18V
b. Sketch the above voltiac cell and label the anode, cathode, and salt bridge. Write the formulas of two approciriate electrolytes. Label which electrode gains mass and which one looses mass.

(my best attempt at an ASCII rendition of the drawing)
Salt bridge
|
/------------------\
| |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
____ ______
#1 #2

Mg in beaker#1(solution), anode, not sure about electrolyte!, Ag+1 in beaker #2, cathode, not sure about electrolyte. Second beaker electrolyte gains mass(because it's being reduced). First beaker looses mass. Not sure about electrolyte for salt bridge.

c) Determine the free energy value for the above Voltaic cell:
-6.14*10^(5) J

d) Find the numerical value of the equilibrium constant
2.71*10^(107) (Is this right? Seems large!)

e) Calculate the cell voltage if the SIlver electrolyte molarity changes to .10M while the magnesium electrolyte molarity is changed to .002M.
Didn't really know. Set up the following:
E cell = E(degree) cell * .0592/2 * log Q

3. A current of 10.0 amperes flows for 2.00 hours through an electrolytic cell containing a molten salt of metal X. The result is the decomposition of .250 moles of metal X at the cathode. The oxidation state of X in the molten state is?

I found the number of mol e-, which was 7.46*10^(-1), but I didn't know where to go from here.

Any help would be _greatly_ appriciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mikesown said:
3. A current of 10.0 amperes flows for 2.00 hours through an electrolytic cell containing a molten salt of metal X. The result is the decomposition of .250 moles of metal X at the cathode. The oxidation state of X in the molten state is?

I found the number of mol e-, which was 7.46*10^(-1), but I didn't know where to go from here.

Any help would be _greatly_ appriciated!

Thanks!

.250 moles of metal X and 0.75 moles of e-. How many e-'s per metal ion?

1. Your answer for the first question is correct. You have balanced the equation by adding 32 H+ ions and 16 H2O molecules to the left side of the equation.

a. Your answers for the oxidation and reduction half reactions are correct. However, the net reaction should be written as Mg + 2Ag+ -> Mg2+ + 2Ag, with a cell potential of 3.18V. Also, in the reduction half reaction, Ag should have a +1 charge, not a -1 charge.
b. Your drawing is correct. The anode is the electrode where oxidation occurs, so it is where Mg is located. The cathode is where reduction occurs, so it is where Ag is located. The electrolyte in beaker #1 could be Mg(NO3)2 and the electrolyte in beaker #2 could be AgNO3. The electrolyte in the salt bridge could be KNO3 or NaNO3. The electrode that gains mass is the cathode, and the electrode that loses mass is the anode.
c. The free energy value should be -6.14*10^5 J.
d. The numerical value of the equilibrium constant is 2.71*10^107, which is a very large number. This indicates that the reaction strongly favors the products.
e. To calculate the cell voltage, you can use the Nernst equation: Ecell = Ecell° - (0.0592/2)log(Q). Q is the reaction quotient, which is [Ag+]^2/[Mg2+]^2. With the new concentrations, Q will change and therefore the cell voltage will change.

3. To determine the oxidation state of X in the molten state, you can use the Faraday's law of electrolysis: moles of substance = (current * time)/(Faraday's constant * number of electrons transferred). In this case, the number of electrons transferred is 2, so you can solve for the moles of X and then use the mole ratio to determine the oxidation state.

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. It involves the use of electrodes and electrolytes to convert chemical energy into electrical energy and vice versa.

2. How does electrochemistry impact our daily lives?

Electrochemistry plays a crucial role in many everyday activities, such as powering electronic devices, producing metals, and purifying water. It also has applications in medicine, agriculture, and environmental remediation.

3. What are the different types of electrochemical reactions?

The two main types of electrochemical reactions are oxidation-reduction (redox) reactions and electrolysis. Redox reactions involve the transfer of electrons between species, while electrolysis involves the use of electricity to drive a non-spontaneous chemical reaction.

4. How is electrochemistry related to batteries?

Batteries rely on electrochemical reactions to store and release energy. In a battery, the chemical energy is converted into electrical energy through a series of redox reactions. The type of battery depends on the specific chemicals and materials used.

5. What are some current research areas in electrochemistry?

Some current research areas in electrochemistry include developing more efficient and sustainable energy storage solutions, improving electrode materials for batteries, and finding ways to use electrochemistry for carbon dioxide capture and conversion.