Is a low grade in physics enough reason to give up on pursuing engineering?

• Thread starter mmg0789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: It's not the best field. If you are passionate about it, go for it.In summary, if you struggle with physics, it is not your fault and you should still try to go into engineering. However, if you struggle with math, it is worth considering other options.
mmg0789
i know you probably get A LOT of this spacific question, but i don't know if i should be an engineer anymore. I'm a senior in high school and I'm taking AP physics this year (took Pre-AP last year) and I'm TERRIBLE at it. i listen in class (or at least i try to) i read the book, i do my hw, but i still failed the last test horribly. what it comes down to it, i like physics, I'm jus bad at it. and i was planning to go in engineering in college, but i just don't know now since I'm so bad at physics, should i still try to go in engineering? was physics hard for some of you too?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mmg0789 said:
i know you probably get A LOT of this spacific question, but i don't know if i should be an engineer anymore. I'm a senior in high school and I'm taking AP physics this year (took Pre-AP last year) and I'm TERRIBLE at it. i listen in class (or at least i try to) i read the book, i do my hw, but i still failed the last test horribly. what it comes down to is, i like physics, I'm jus bad at it. and i was planning to go in engineering in college, but i just don't know now since I'm so bad at physics, should i still try to go in engineering? was physics hard for some of you too?

thanks

If you really like something, you can manage getting the most of it. Just a matter of time and patience.

If you really try your best yet still fail, it's likely not your fault -- it's likely that you just don't have a "compatible" instructor. If you're only struggling with a single subject under a single teacher, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're just "bad" at the subject.

How are you doing in related fields like math? Chemistry?

- Warren

chroot said:
If you really try your best yet still fail, it's likely not your fault -- it's likely that you just don't have a "compatible" instructor. If you're only struggling with a single subject under a single teacher, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're just "bad" at the subject.

How are you doing in related fields like math? Chemistry?

- Warren

i like math...in cal ab (and stat) right now...i'm pretty good at it
chemistry---i guess it just goes back to the non-compatible instructor lol (my teacher never really taught)

i guess i should mention that i have the same physics teacher for ap that i had for pre-ap. i don't like the way he teaches at all

Last edited:
Okay, so you have decent math skills, but you're poor in both physics and chemistry? (And physics and chemistry are taught by different instructors?)

- Warren

I havn't taken Physics AP but my friend did and he said the AP physics course was harder than the actual college course. I only had basic high school physics for dummies and I did fine in all the physics in college. Don't let an AP course discourage you, give it a try in college and see how it goes. From there you can make your decision.

I didn't do too hot in Calc I-III, or physics I-II. I passed them all with C's. I was a computer science major at the time. At the time I didn't see the point in taking all those math classes, and physics... I was like, "when am I ever going to use this?"

I then changed to an engineering degree. I switched to EE because I took a circuit class and loved it. I realized I really wanted to be an engineer. I've taken much harder math classes, physics, and engineering courses since... I've received A's since.

What has changed?

I realized I wanted it!
I decided to work hard to get it (I live at the library some nights [and weekends]).

Do you want it? Ask yourself that. If you do, be prepared to work hard. If you find physics interesting, go to the library and pick up a different book (maybe you will get along with it better). Practice as much math as possible. My math skills were week when I took physics, so it made it a lot harder than it should have been.

Just make sure it's what you want. Are you going into engineering for the money? If you are... don't.

Last edited:

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific, mathematical, and practical knowledge to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. It encompasses a wide range of fields, including civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, and computer engineering.

2. What skills are required to become an engineer?

Engineering requires a combination of strong mathematical and scientific skills, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, attention to detail, and creativity. Communication, teamwork, and project management skills are also important for success in this field.

3. What are the different types of engineers?

There are many different types of engineers, including civil engineers who design and construct infrastructure, mechanical engineers who design and develop mechanical systems, electrical engineers who work with electricity and electronics, chemical engineers who design and develop chemical processes, and computer engineers who design and develop computer hardware and software. There are also many other specialized fields of engineering, such as aerospace, biomedical, environmental, and industrial engineering.

4. What is the engineering design process?

The engineering design process is a series of steps that engineers follow to develop a solution to a problem. These steps typically include identifying the problem, researching and brainstorming potential solutions, selecting the best solution, creating a prototype or model, testing and evaluating the prototype, and making any necessary improvements or modifications.

5. What is the importance of ethics in engineering?

Ethics is crucial in engineering as engineers have a responsibility to protect the public's safety, health, and well-being. Engineers must adhere to ethical principles and standards in their work, such as ensuring the safety and reliability of their designs, being transparent and honest in their communication, and considering the impact of their work on the environment and society as a whole.