1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about Forces

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1-kg object is moving in the x direction at 17.1 m/s. Just 3.75 s later, it is moving at 30.9 m/s at 30.3° to the x axis. What are the magnitude and direction of the force applied during this time?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea on how to do this problem!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2
    Re: Help! I Need Somebody Help!

Try approaching the problem by considering the force in the x and y directions separately. That's usually a good first approach in anything related to Newton's Laws or kinematics in my opinion.

If you can find the change in velocity in the x and y direction, you can then find the acceleration in the two directions, which would give you the force applied.

A more useful thread title and more effort on your part to attempt the problem would help you in the long run.

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3
    Re: Help! I Need Somebody Help!

Assume that the object is moving in the x-y (horizontal plane). Draw a picture (qualitative) showing the object location and velocity vector at times t = 0, and t = 3.75 s. What are the x- and y components of the object's velocity at time t = 0, and t = 3.75 s? This should give you some idea of what to do next.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook