Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about GR

1. May 31, 2007 #1
    Hello all,
    I, by no means, fully understand general relativity. I was wondering if one of you experts could help me clarify some things, as I am giving a presentation to my class on GR next monday. We are in a somewhat basic physics class, so I really just need to get the idea across. From my understanding, the basic idea of GR is that matter/energy warp what is called "space-time." My question is.... if space time is a combination of space and time, then how is time warped? I understand how space is warped and this explains why our planets are in orbit, but how is time warped?

Thank you in advance for the response.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

How to prepare an introductory talk on GR?

Hi, Andrew,

Did you see the very recent thread offering advice to an AP physics student who was also preparing at the last minute :grumpy: for a talk?

What we suggested to him would also be good advice for you, I think. First, try to find what resources you can obtain ASAP (see the website in my sig), then decide what you will try to convey. Then study your sources and write your talk.
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  4. May 31, 2007 #3
    I just read that, im surprised I missed it when I glanced through the topics. I've checked out a few books on Einstein and General Relativity. Im still a bit confused on how time can be warped.
  5. Jun 1, 2007 #4

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

How spacetime can be warped. Geroch, General Relativity from A to B should be perfect for you.
  6. Jun 1, 2007 #5
    Thank you so much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?