1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about gradient

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    If someone could gtive me a general idea about how to approach these problems, I would be very grateful! Our class time was devoted to derivation rather than application.

1) Find the angle between the surfaces defined by r^2=9 and x+y+z^2=1 at the point (2,-2,1).

2) The height of a hill is given by z = 2xy - 3x^2 - 4y^2 - 18x +28y +12. x is the distance east and y is the distance north of the origin. i) Where is the top of the hill and how high is it? ii) What is the angle between a vector perpendicular to the hill and the z axis? I really have no idea where to start with this one!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Find the angle between the normal vectors. Since you labled this "gradients" I presume you know how to find those normal vectors!

i) Do you know how to find the maximum of a function of two variables? Do you remember how to find the maximum of y= f(x) from Calculus I? (Find the derivative and set it equal to 0. Same here!)
    ii) A vector along the z-axis is 0i+ 0j+ 0k. Do you know how to find a vector perpendicular (normal) to a surface? (Think "gradient vector". {3 dimensional, not 2!})

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    I understand 2a now! But could you elaborate a little more on the first problem? How do I start?

5. Sep 20, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

r2= 9? Is that in polar coordinates? The sphere of radius 3? Must be since (2, -2, 1)satisfy that. In that case, a normal vector is easy! Any radius is perpendicular to a sphere so 2i- 2j+ k is normal to the sphere at (2, -2, 1).

To find a normal vector to x+y-z2= 1, think of it as a level surface of the function F(x,y,z)= x+ y- z2. The gradient of F, i+ j- 2zk, is normal to that suface at each point. In particular, taking z= 1, i+ j- 2k is normal to that surface at (2, -2, 1). Now, what is the angle between the vectors 2i- 2j+ k and i+ j- k?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?