Questions about Gravitational Waves: Answers Here

In summary, there is indirect evidence that gravitational waves exist, based on observed changes in the orbital parameters of binary pulsars. However, direct detection is difficult due to the extremely weak nature of the waves and the need for sensitive and well-isolated detectors. Multiple research groups, such as ALIGO, are working on this problem, but have not yet been successful in detecting gravitational waves.
Bassirou
Hello. I would like to ask if really gravitational waves (GWs) exist? Mathematically they are predicted to exist. However despites the intense efforts invested to detect them so far they cannot be detected.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance for any reply.

There is indirect evidence that gravitational waves exist, yes. The best evidence is changes we have observed in the orbital parameters of binary pulsars, which can only be explained as loss of energy in the binary system due to the emission of gravitational waves. The orbital changes observed are consistent with the predictions of General Relativity for gravitational wave emission.

The binary pulsar with the longest time series of observations is the Hulse-Taylor binary pulsar, described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSR_B1913+16

Thank you PeterDonis for your kind answer and for the link. So, so far we just know from an indirect evidence that GWs exist. Now I have another question, please. Why GW cannot be directly detected? Their are many workgroups working on that such as ALIGO, but if I am not wrong they seem stuck to noise poblems. Is that (one of) the reason why GWs cannot be directly detected?

Bassirou said:
Why GW cannot be directly detected?

It's not that they "cannot" be; we expect to eventually detect them directly. The problem is that the GWs we could potentially detect here on Earth are so weak that it takes an extremely sensitive detector that has to be isolated extremely well from all other disturbances. That's very hard to do, which is why we aren't quite there yet.

Alright, Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. I hope I will hear from you again at my probable future questions on this topic.

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are created when massive objects accelerate. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using extremely sensitive instruments called interferometers. These instruments use lasers to measure the tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What is the significance of detecting gravitational waves?

Detecting gravitational waves is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of these waves, as well as confirming Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also opens up a new window for studying the universe and understanding the behavior of massive objects such as black holes and neutron stars.

4. How do gravitational waves differ from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves are both forms of energy that travel through space, but they differ in their properties. Gravitational waves are not affected by electric or magnetic fields and can pass through any material, while electromagnetic waves can be absorbed or reflected by certain materials.

5. Can gravitational waves be used for communication?

No, gravitational waves cannot be used for communication as they are extremely weak and difficult to detect. Also, they cannot be modulated or controlled like electromagnetic waves, which are used for communication purposes.