Did the Big Bang create gravity and matter?

• Thread starter marcmongeon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: It also explores the concept of gravity in a universe without a big bang and how the expansion of the universe affects our understanding of gravity. The conversation also touches on the conservation of energy and how potential energy can be regained in a system. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of understanding gravity and its origins.
marcmongeon
Hi, I wonder whether physicists generally understand gravity as the petering out of energy imparted to matter by the big bang. Can we think of two objects separated by space as having some potential energy, which is expended as they move closer together? Can we consider that this potential energy was imparted to the objects by the big bang, which produced time, space, and matter? Would it be senseless, then, to talk about gravity in a universe that was not produced by a big bang?

I guess I'm trying to think of objects in space as poised on the side of a hill, and rolling towards the bottom (the stable, zero-energy state). The question, then, is "How did the objects get up the hill?" I wonder whether the answer is the big bang. My explanation would go like this: The big bang created time, space, energy and matter, and also produced matter separated by space, which is an unstable state that is resolved (i.e., brought to a zero-energy state) by the action of gravity. Is that, more or less, how physicists think about gravity?

Cheers, and I'd be happy to elaborate if any of these questions aren't clear.

Marc

Physics news on Phys.org
marcmongeon said:
I guess I'm trying to think of objects in space as poised on the side of a hill, and rolling towards the bottom (the stable, zero-energy state). The question, then, is "How did the objects get up the hill?" I wonder whether the answer is the big bang. My explanation would go like this: The big bang created time, space, energy and matter, and also produced matter separated by space, which is an unstable state that is resolved (i.e., brought to a zero-energy state) by the action of gravity. Is that, more or less, how physicists think about gravity?

That is a very intuitive way to think about it, and I wouldn't be surprised if you would be in good company 50 years ago (your example would be a bit simplified, but not entirely unbelievable). However, the universe is expanding and the expansion seems to be accelerating. So your idea, while seemingly plausible, doesn't hold up.

Hi, I wonder whether physicists generally understand gravity as the petering out of energy imparted to matter by the big bang. Can we think of two objects separated by space as having some potential energy, which is expended as they move closer together? Can we consider that this potential energy was imparted to the objects by the big bang, which produced time, space, and matter? Would it be senseless, then, to talk about gravity in a universe that was not produced by a big bang?

Be careful with counter-factual assumptions. Maybe it would be better to phrase this as
"Could we construct a theoretical universe that has no beginning or end in which gravity behaves the way we see it behaving locally (in the solar system)?" I think the answer is yes. We could construct a steady state universe. I am not an expert in this area though.
But of course, since everything was created by the Big Bang (or Horrendous Space Kablooie [Calvin,Hobbes;1992]) the total energy does come from it. The only significant physics error that I see in your thinking is that energy is not expended. The total energy is conserved, so any potential energy in a system can be regained if the conditions are correct.

Hi DrewD. Thanks for your response.

DrewD said:
That is a very intuitive way to think about it... 50 years ago... However, the universe is expanding and the expansion seems to be accelerating...

So, we've observed in the last 50 years that the universe is accelerating at an increasing rate, so it isn't valid to think of gravity as a simple "winding down" of energy imparted to matter by the big bang. It seems, I guess, that new energy is being created somehow with the expansion of space/time ("dark energy")? How does this affect our understanding of gravity?

DrewD said:
The only significant physics error that I see in your thinking is that energy is not expended. The total energy is conserved, so any potential energy in a system can be regained if the conditions are correct.

Right, so two objects at a distance of two meters will, by the force of gravity, reduce that distance to one meter. Potential energy will be lost (or converted to some other kind of virtual energy?). That potential energy could be restored by applying a force over time to one of the objects, to move it further away from the other object. I want to understand where the potential energy came from in the first place, to set those two objects at a distance of two meters. "The big bang" is a convenient answer, but maybe not the correct one.

It was a bit over-reaching to say that gravity could only exist in a universe that was produced by a big bang, so I take that part back.

Marc

so it isn't valid to think of gravity as a simple "winding down" of energy imparted to matter by the big bang.

how do you figure that ?

if the mass of an object stays constant, so does its gravity, its gravitation field doesn't decrease with time.

Dave

I can say that the Big Bang theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the beginning of our universe. According to this theory, the universe was once in a highly compressed and extremely hot state, and then expanded rapidly, leading to the creation of matter and energy.

In terms of gravity, the Big Bang does not necessarily create it, but rather it is one of the fundamental forces of nature that has been present since the beginning of the universe. The theory of general relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, describes gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy. This means that gravity is not a force that is imparted to matter by the Big Bang, but rather a fundamental property of matter itself.

In your analogy of objects rolling down a hill, it is important to note that gravity is not a force that is constantly pulling objects towards the bottom of the hill. Instead, it is the curvature of space and time that causes objects to move towards each other. This curvature is created by the presence of matter and energy, which were indeed created during the Big Bang.

It is also worth mentioning that the concept of gravity can still be applied in other theories of the universe's origin, such as the steady-state theory or the cyclic model. However, the Big Bang theory does provide a compelling explanation for the beginning of the universe and how gravity plays a role in shaping it.

In summary, while the Big Bang did not necessarily create gravity, it did create the conditions for matter and energy to exist, which in turn led to the presence of gravity in our universe. I hope this helps clarify your questions, and if you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of attraction between objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This pull decreases with distance, meaning objects that are closer together have a stronger gravitational force between them.

3. Why do objects fall to the ground?

Objects fall to the ground because of the gravitational pull from the Earth. The Earth's mass is so large that it creates a strong enough gravitational force to pull objects towards its center.

4. Can gravity be seen?

No, gravity itself cannot be seen. However, its effects can be observed, such as when objects fall to the ground or when planets orbit around the sun.

5. How was gravity discovered?

Gravity was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He observed the falling of an apple from a tree and realized that the same force that caused the apple to fall also kept the moon in orbit around the Earth.