Questions about hyperbolas

• Thread starter Hygelac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hyperbolas
In summary, the given hyperbola has its center at (2,4) in the fourth quadrant, with x-intercepts at (5,4) and (-1,4) and no y-intercepts.
Hygelac
Hey, I have a couple of _easy_ questions about hyperbolas, but its been a while since I have worked with them and am not able to look them up in my math book currently...if someone could just get me started in the right direction, I would really appreciate it :)

Given the equation of the hyperbola: 9(x-2)^2 - 16(y-4)^2 = 144

1. In which quadrant is its center?

2. What are its x/y intercepts?

Again, if you could just get me started, that would be great :biggrin:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since you haven't shown any attempt at solving the problem, I will just get you started. The generalized equation for a horizontal hyperbola is:
[tex]\frac{(x-h)^2}{a^2}-\frac{(y-k)^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]
where [itex](h,k)[/itex] is the center, a is the horizontal distance from the center to each vertex, and b is the vertical distance from the center to a point on one of the asymptotes [itex](x,y)[/itex] such that x is the x-coordinate of a vertex.

1. To find the center of a hyperbola, we need to simplify the equation to the standard form: (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola. In this case, we have (x-2)^2/16 - (y-4)^2/9 = 1. So, the center is at (2,4). Since both the x and y coordinates are positive, the center is in the first quadrant.

2. To find the x-intercepts, we set y=0 in the equation and solve for x. 9(x-2)^2 - 16(0-4)^2 = 144. Simplifying, we get 9(x-2)^2 = 144, which gives us two solutions: x=2+4=6 and x=2-4=-2. So, the x-intercepts are (6,0) and (-2,0).

To find the y-intercepts, we set x=0 in the equation and solve for y. 9(0-2)^2 - 16(y-4)^2 = 144. Simplifying, we get -16(y-4)^2 = 144, which gives us two solutions: y=4+3=7 and y=4-3=1. So, the y-intercepts are (0,7) and (0,1).

I hope this helps you get started with your questions about hyperbolas. Remember, the key is to simplify the equation to its standard form and then use that information to find the center and intercepts. Good luck!

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section, meaning it is a curve formed by intersecting a plane with a cone. It is characterized by two separate branches that are symmetrical and open in opposite directions.

2. What are the key features of a hyperbola?

The key features of a hyperbola are its center, vertices, foci, asymptotes, and eccentricity. The center is the point where the two branches of the hyperbola intersect. The vertices are the points where the hyperbola is closest to its center. The foci are the two points inside the hyperbola that determine its shape. The asymptotes are the lines that the hyperbola approaches but never touches. The eccentricity is a measure of how elongated the hyperbola is.

3. How is a hyperbola different from an ellipse?

A hyperbola and an ellipse are both conic sections, but they have different shapes. An ellipse is a closed curve with two foci, while a hyperbola is an open curve with two separate branches and two foci. The eccentricity of an ellipse is less than 1, while the eccentricity of a hyperbola is greater than 1.

4. What are the equations for a hyperbola?

The standard form equations for a hyperbola are:
- Horizontal hyperbola: (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1
- Vertical hyperbola: (y-k)^2/a^2 - (x-h)^2/b^2 = 1
where (h, k) is the center of the hyperbola, and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices.

5. How are hyperbolas used in real life?

Hyperbolas have many real-life applications, including in satellite orbits, radio transmitters and receivers, and lens antennas. They are also used in economics to represent supply and demand curves, and in statistics to analyze data relationships. Additionally, hyperbolas can be seen in the shapes of certain natural phenomena, such as the paths of comets and the formation of rainbows.