Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about Index Notation

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    I am playing around with learning index notation for tensors, and I came across the following where C is a 0th order tensor:

[tex]E_{ijk} \partial_j \partial_k C = 0[/tex]

I believe this equates to [tex]\nabla \times \nabla C[/tex]. I don't understand why this comes out to 0. Any ideas?

Also, I am trying to understand in index notation how to represent the grad of a vector. The reason I am confused is that it seems that, taking C as a 0th order tensor, V as a 1st order tensor and T as a 2nd order tensor:

[tex]div T = \nabla \cdot T = \partial_iT_{ij}[/tex]
    [tex]div V = \nabla \cdot V = \partial_iV_i[/tex]
    And of course, div C does not make sense as it would be a -1st order tensor.

But, since:
    [tex]grad C = \nabla C = \partial_iC[/tex]
    I don't follow how to represent [tex]grad V = \nabla V[/tex] or [tex]grad T = \nabla T[/tex] in index notation; from what I have it seems there would be no difference in notation between grad and div! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2
    The first thing to note is that your notation here is a bit non-standard. If you assume that [itex]E_{ijk}[/itex] is just some arbitrary (0,3) tensor then [itex]\sum_{j,k}E_{ijk}\partial_j\partial_kC\ne 0[/itex] in general. However, if you take [itex]E_{ijk}=\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex], the totally antisymmetric or permutation tensor, then [itex]\sum_{j,k}\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j\partial_kC=0[/itex] is trivially satisfied. To see why this is so, note that since partial derivatives commute we can write

[tex]\begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    \sum_{j,k}\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j\partial_kC
    &= \sum_{j,k}\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{ijk}(\partial_j\partial_kC + \partial_k\partial_jC) \\
    &= \sum_{j,k}\frac{1}{2}(\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j\partial_kC + \epsilon_{ijk}\partial_k\partial_jC) \\
    &= \sum_{j,k}\frac{1}{2}(\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j\partial_kC + \epsilon_{ikj}\partial_j\partial_kC) \\
    &= \sum_{j,k}\frac{1}{2}(\epsilon_{ijk} + \epsilon_{ikj})\partial_j\partial_kC.
    \end{split}
    \end{equation*}[/tex]

However, since one has [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=-\epsilon_{ikj}[/itex] by definition, one can then write

[tex]\sum_{j,k}\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j\partial_kC = \sum_{j,k}\frac{1}{2}(\epsilon_{ijk} - \epsilon_{ijk})\partial_j\partial_kC = 0.
    [/tex]

You are then correct to say that [itex]\nabla\times\nabla C=\sum_{j,k}\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j\partial_kC=0[/itex].

Correct.

You may or may not find this post helpful.

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    Not sure if this is the source of your confusion, but notice that the 0 is a component of a tensor with rank(0,1) since only the j and k indices are repeated. i.e.

[tex]A_{i} = E_{ijk} \partial_j \partial_k C = 0[/tex]

5. Nov 15, 2006 #4
    coalquay,

You are correct that I intended [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex]. Sorry for the bad notation. But I greatly appreciate the help, I did not think of that approach. Thanks!

6. Nov 15, 2006 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

sillyme, i hoped this was about the index of an elliptic operator, but its the same old same old.

7. Nov 16, 2006 #6
    A question about index theorems would be nice, wouldn't it? I suspect, however, we'll be waiting a while before we see one...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?