Questions about kinetic theory

This will change the calculated velocity to 1937.58 m/s.In summary, the total random kinetic energy of all the molecules in 1 mol of hydrogen at a temperature of 300 K is 3738.42 J/mol. To have the kinetic energy of the mass equal to this, the speed of a mole of hydrogen would need to be 1937.58 m/s. The answer in the back of the book is 1.93 km/s, which may be due to a mistake in the atomic weight used in the calculation.
Steveku
May you professors please check part b of my work because my answer does not match the answer in the back of the book. Thank you.

Question:
(a) What is the total random kinetic energy of all the molecules
in 1 mol of hydrogen at a temperature of 300 K? (b) With what
speed would a mole of hydrogen have to move so that the kinetic
energy of the mass as a whole would be equal to the total random
kinetic energy of its molecules?

Answer to part (a):
Since KE (total) = 1.5nRT, the total random kinetic energy is (1.5)(1)(8.314)(300) =
3738.42 J/mol

Answer to part (b):
The atomic weight of hydrogen is 1.01 grams per mole
So, the mass of one mole is 0.001 kg.

We have to find the velocity
By the kinetic energy formula,
KE = (.5)(m)(v)^2
(.5)(m)(v)^2 = 3738.42 J/mol
So, v = 2734.3811 m/s

However, the answer page in my booklet tells me that the correct answer for part b is 1.93 km/s. Please advise me and tell me what I did wrong. Thanks again.

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of one mole will be 2.02 g, since there are two hydrogen atoms in one hydrogen gas molecule.

, it is great that you are double-checking your work and seeking clarification. As a scientist, it is important to always question and verify our results. It is possible that there is a mistake in the answer key or in your calculations. I would suggest going back through your steps and checking your calculations to see if there were any errors. Additionally, you can reach out to your professor or classmates for further assistance. Remember, science is a collaborative field and it is okay to ask for help. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the kinetic theory of matter?

The kinetic theory of matter is a scientific model that explains the behavior and properties of matter in terms of the motion of its particles. It states that all matter is made up of tiny particles that are constantly in motion, and that the temperature of a substance is directly related to the average kinetic energy of its particles.

2. What are the main assumptions of the kinetic theory?

The main assumptions of the kinetic theory are that all matter is made up of particles, these particles are in constant motion, and the particles are constantly colliding with each other and the walls of their container. Additionally, it assumes that the particles have negligible volume and that there are no attractive or repulsive forces between them.

3. How does the kinetic theory explain the properties of solids, liquids, and gases?

The kinetic theory explains the properties of solids, liquids, and gases by describing the different ways in which their particles are arranged and move. In solids, the particles are tightly packed and vibrate in place, in liquids, the particles are still close together but can move past each other, and in gases, the particles are far apart and move freely in all directions.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and the kinetic energy of particles?

According to the kinetic theory, the temperature of a substance is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of its particles. This means that as the temperature of a substance increases, the particles will have a higher average kinetic energy and will move faster.

5. How does the kinetic theory explain pressure and volume in gases?

The kinetic theory explains pressure and volume in gases by stating that the pressure of a gas is caused by the constant collisions of its particles with each other and the walls of its container. As the volume of a gas decreases, the particles have less space to move and collide, resulting in a higher pressure. Similarly, as the volume increases, the pressure decreases.