Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about light

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    What does light consist of? The super string theory state light is a vibration of the higher dimensions.

Is light classified as a type of matter? I know light can be captured.

is the amount of energy used to generate natural light so vast it can only be reproduced by creating plasma ?

What are the basic equations of light? What allows light to travel at the velocity it travels? Can those equations be extracted and reproduced? Do we even know the equational physics involved in how light travels its velocity? Have people even asked these questions?

to me it seems the physics needed to travel the speed of light is right in front of our faces...light itself holds the secret, light is traveling the speed of light.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Light is what our brain percieves when our eyes come in contact with an electromagnetic wave of certain wavelengths. An electromagnetic wave is a vibration in the electromagnetic field caused by the movement of electromagnetic energy through the area. Thats what light is.

The equations describing light and other electromagnetic waves would be Maxwells Equations. They predict the speed of light to be what it is.

As for traveling the speed of light, thats a big no no. The theory of Relativity has shown theoretically, and has been backed up by much experimentation, that massive objects cannot travel at the speed of light. Since this is not a thread on relativity, I'll let someone else explain why. Anyway the reason light can travel the speed of light is that it has no rest mass. Any massive particle cannot travel light speed.

These questions have been asked many times before, sorry to say you havent stumbled on anything new.
  4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    No need to be sorry, that’s the reason I asked in the first place...no one suggested I stumbled on anything new...why even say that? It’s strange how people add there own meaning to what is being asked in its most basic perspective, eluding the conscience of the original question.

anyways thanks for giving me more information to research on...i will check if ur answers are correct.
  5. Feb 8, 2006 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't mean to add any new meaning to your question. Sry. In fact I commend you for wanting to know more about physics. If you have any more questions this is the place to get answers.
  6. Feb 8, 2006 #5
    Learning is unlimited no matter how much knowledge you may have in a specific field there is always more to learn.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?