Questions About Light: Mass, Inertia & Acceleration

• Thread starter Noah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, light has momentum, but does not have mass. It is bent around the sun, experiencing centripetal acceleration, and has been demonstrated to interact as particles.
Noah
Not planning to go out on a limb like I did with my magnetism questions/theory.

Does light have mass?
Does light have inertia?
Does light have acceleration?
If light doesn't have mass, then is it even possible for it to have inertia and acceleration?

More questions to come after I get some answers for these.

Science news on Phys.org
Light has no rest mass. It does have momentum, p= E/c, and this has been demonstrated by the ability to do laser cooling, to name one example.

Not an expert by any means, but my thoughts are: since light has no rest mass it can not accelerate since acceleration is dependent upon mass. However, light has momentum, and momentum with zero rest mass means that light goes from zero to c the very moment it is "created".

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I was always thought that light was a wave, so I've understood that it's energy and not mass. I'm probably wrong on this.

The one thing I've always wondered is, all waves need to travel through a medium, but light can travel in a vacuum...

That's the old concept of aether. Light has no mass but does have energy. It does have momentum, as exemplified by many experiments, most dramaticaly the ESA solar sail recently launched. Light is bent around the sun, and therefore can experience centripetal acceleration from the Earth reference frame.

Light travels E-M waves and interacts as particles. We say that light has no mass in ¿rest? (well, i don't know what is the correct word, but i mean that the v respect to the ground is zero).

But if it has no mass ¿how can a galaxy, a star or even a planet disturb its travel and force it to change its direction? This is what happens with an asteroid for example, the gravity forces it to change... Ok that is solved if we proof that Earth, Sun, and the galaxy at all, disturbs the spacetime... but we have to wait several months, to let Gravity Probe B do its work.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between light and mass?

The relationship between light and mass is that light does not have mass. Light is made up of particles called photons, which have no mass. This means that light does not experience inertia or acceleration like objects with mass do.

2. How does light affect inertia?

Since light has no mass, it does not experience inertia. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. Since light has no mass, it can travel at the speed of light without any resistance or force to slow it down.

3. Can light accelerate?

Yes, light can accelerate, but it does so in a different way than objects with mass. Light always travels at the speed of light, so it cannot increase its speed. However, it can change its direction, which can be seen as acceleration.

4. What is the difference between the acceleration of light and the acceleration of objects with mass?

The main difference between the acceleration of light and objects with mass is that light always travels at the speed of light, while objects with mass can increase or decrease their speed depending on the applied force. Additionally, light does not experience inertia, while objects with mass do.

5. How do scientists measure the acceleration of light?

Scientists use a device called a Michelson interferometer to measure the acceleration of light. This device splits a beam of light into two beams and then combines them again to create an interference pattern. By measuring the changes in this pattern, scientists can determine the acceleration of light.