Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about Line Integrals

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    Say we have a vector, lets use something simple like

A = 2xyi + 3yzj

Say we want to find the work done on a particle traversing a path, so we just add up the work done on each path. Let the path be:

y = x^2 from x = 0 to x = 5
    y = 25 from x = 5 to x = 10
    now a final path from (10,25) to (10,35)

How do I enter my limits in if Work = integral A • Ds ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Write the path in parametric equations. Use the value of the parameter corresponding to the beginning and ending points.
    In this particular case, since y is a function of x, it is simplest to take x itself as the parameter. Write your integral entirely in terms of x and use the x values as limits of integration. Since your function changes at x= 5, you will probably want two integrals, one from 0 to 5, the other from 5 to 10.

By the way, your force vector is A = 2xyi + 3yzj which includes "z" but you only have i and j and your path only includes x and y. Was that intentional?

4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    No, I was just making up a random vector.

Must I do a parametization? Is it not possible just to plug in the change of x for the limits of dx and the change of y for the limits of dy for each seperate curve then add 'em up?

5. Sep 19, 2005 #4

TD

Homework Helper

This may sometimes be possible, but in general it's not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?