Are monopoles a problem for all gauge groups in GUT theories?

• Thread starter emanaly
  • Start date
In summary, monopoles are a problem in many GUTs gauge groups, including semi simple groups. And while the standard model may produce monopoles through EWSB, inflation was originally proposed as a solution to keep them out of causal contact. Furthermore, monopoles are not exclusive to GUT physics and can be found in nonperturbative physics as well.
emanaly
Hi All
I have some questions about monopoles, I would be grateful if someone help me in answering them.
1-Does all GUTs gauge groups simple and semi simple suffer from the monopoles problem?
2- If semi simple groups suffer from the above problem why standard Model doesn't produce monoples although there will be U(1) electromagnetic group when spontanous breaking happens?
Eman

Physics news on Phys.org
emanaly said:
Hi All
I have some questions about monopoles, I would be grateful if someone help me in answering them.
1-Does all GUTs gauge groups simple and semi simple suffer from the monopoles problem?

many of them do.

2- If semi simple groups suffer from the above problem why standard Model doesn't produce monoples although there will be U(1) electromagnetic group when spontanous breaking happens?
Eman

It does! Well, EWSB won't since there's a U(1) hypercharge, but for example, SU(5) GUT theories should produce monopoles. In fact, this was the original motivation for inflation - to push them all out of causal contact with us.

It should be that nonperturbative physics in many gauge theories already include these objects, for instance in various supersymmetric field theories and others. So they are far from just being a signature of GUT physics perse.

1. What are monopoles?

Monopoles are hypothetical particles with a single magnetic pole, either north or south. They are considered to be the magnetic analog of electric charges.

2. Do monopoles exist in nature?

There is currently no experimental evidence for the existence of monopoles in nature. However, some theories in particle physics predict their existence and scientists continue to search for them in experiments.

3. What is the significance of monopoles in physics?

If monopoles are proven to exist, it would have significant implications for our understanding of fundamental physics. It would also help to unify the theories of electricity and magnetism.

4. How are monopoles created?

Monopoles can be created through various processes, such as the decay of other particles, the collision of high-energy particles, or in the early universe during the Big Bang.

5. Can monopoles be used for practical applications?

Since monopoles have not been observed or created in a controlled manner, there are currently no practical applications for them. However, their potential existence and properties continue to be studied by scientists.