Questions about movement of a permanent magnet inside of solenoid.

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a cylindrical magnet and a solenoid with DC current applied. When the magnet is placed near the left end of the solenoid and current is applied, the magnet moves to the center of the solenoid. Reversing the current causes the magnet to move in the opposite direction. The initial idea was that the magnet would pass through the solenoid, but it is actually held in place by the opposing magnetic fields. The concept of Fleming's Left Hand rule is mentioned as a possible explanation for this behavior.
jalbers
I have been doing some experimenting with a relatively short cylindrical permanent magnet and a solenoid with DC current applied. I would like an explanation as to why these two things happen. The OD of the cylindrical magnet is just a little bit smaller then the ID of the solenoid.

Placing the magnet near the left end of the solenoid and applying current will cause the magnet to move to the right and stop at the center of the solenoid. Manually moving the magnet back slightly to the left and reversing current will cause the magnet to move to the left.

Placing the magnet near the left end of the solenoid and applying current will cause the magnet to move to the right and stop at the center of the solenoid. Manually moving the magnet slightly to the right and reversing current will cause the magnet to continue moving to the right.

Before doing these experiments my conjecture was that the magnet placed at the end of the solenoid would pass completely through the solenoid. My thinking was that movement of the magnet would be caused by the flux lines of the magnet and the solenoid being in different directions all the way through the inside of the solenoid.

My next though is that the flux lines moving through the center of the solenoid in the opposite direction as the magnets flux lines bulge out around the magnet kind of like a snake swallowing something. Somehow the magnet finds equilibrium in the center of the solenoid.
I have been watching the MIT open course physics lectures http://openlearning.wordpress.com/2007/12/19/the-walter-lewin-lectures and understand some of the concepts but still don't know how to apply them to this situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could switch-off the electromagnet just before the magnet reaches the middle, then switch the electromagnet back on with reverse polarity after the magnet passes the middle.

Do you know about Fleming's Left Hand rule? Thats where your answer lies as to why the magnet moves to the center of the solenoid.

I know that F = I x B but when I try to apply it I don't get anywhere. (I) is a vector tangent to a point on the solonoid. (B) is a vector parallel to the central axes of the solonoid. So I x B or (F) would be a vector perpendicular to the central axes of the solonoid ?

1. How does the movement of a permanent magnet inside a solenoid affect the magnetic field?

The movement of a permanent magnet inside a solenoid can cause changes in the magnetic field. As the magnet moves, it induces a current in the solenoid, which in turn creates a magnetic field that is opposite to the magnet's field. This results in a stronger or weaker overall magnetic field depending on the direction and speed of the magnet's movement.

2. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in a solenoid?

The strength of the induced current in a solenoid is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnet, the speed and direction of its movement, and the number of turns in the solenoid. The material of the solenoid's core can also play a role in determining the strength of the induced current.

3. How does the direction of movement of the permanent magnet affect the direction of the induced current in the solenoid?

The direction of movement of the permanent magnet directly affects the direction of the induced current in the solenoid. When the magnet moves towards the solenoid, the induced current flows in one direction. When the magnet moves away from the solenoid, the induced current flows in the opposite direction.

4. Can the movement of a permanent magnet inside a solenoid generate electricity?

Yes, the movement of a permanent magnet inside a solenoid can generate electricity. This is known as electromagnetic induction. As the magnet moves, it induces a current in the solenoid, and this current can be harnessed to generate electricity.

5. What is the relationship between the speed of the magnet's movement and the strength of the induced current in the solenoid?

The speed of the magnet's movement has a direct impact on the strength of the induced current in the solenoid. The faster the magnet moves, the stronger the induced current will be. Similarly, a slower movement of the magnet will result in a weaker induced current.