Getting a PhD: What To Know & Benefits

• Programs
  • Thread starter Universe_Man
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process and benefits of obtaining a Phd in a specific field. It involves taking courses, passing exams, writing a dissertation, and defending it in front of a committee of experts. The main benefit is the opportunity to work for the government or university and potentially receive grants. It is also a way to kickstart a career in industry, but the return on investment may not be as high. Ultimately, the experience of earning a Phd is described as an eye-opening and challenging journey that requires dedication and perseverance.
Universe_Man
Getting a Phd in some field has always been a really long term goal for me, but I was wondering a couple things about it.

What exactly do you have to do to earn a Phd?

What are the benefits of having a Phd? (besides being called Dr. instead of Mr. which would be really cool).

Physics news on Phys.org
Universe_Man said:
Getting a Phd in some field has always been a really long term goal for me, but I was wondering a couple things about it.

What exactly do you have to do to earn a Phd?

What are the benefits of having a Phd? (besides being called Dr. instead of Mr. which would be really cool).

The exact requirements vary from school to school and field to field, but to make a long story short, you'll need to 1) take a bunch of courses, 2) pass a set of qualifying exams in your field, 3) write a dissertation (a paper, usually almost book-length, describing a piece of original research) and defend it in front of a committee of experts in your field.

Universe_Man said:

Sorry, I forgot to answer the last part... this isn't really much of a benefit, since most of the people you'll end up working with usually have Ph.D.'s too. :smile:

The usual benefit of more education is that you'll find yourself doing more interesting work with more interesting people usually for a bit more $$$ than you would be making in the same field without a Ph.D.

The main benefit of a Phd is that you can work for the government or university. You can also apply for and get government grants.

The government needs a way to determine who to hire and who to give grants to. If they didn't have a objective way to determine this, Senator Sam's Uncle Joe (the high school drop out) would get all the science money even though he is a moron. A Phd is a good objective way to determine if someone is qualified. A Phd at least can write and think clearly enough to get through school.

It is also a good way to kick start a career in industry, but the return on investment (time and money) isn't very good there.

the biggest change it meant to me was an eye opening experience of what research really meant. i learned that i really did have a lot to learn about doing math, that it was much harder to make meaningful new progress than i had thought, and i went from resentment to gratitude that my professors and advisors held me up the best standard they thought i was capable of.

it was sort of like having an intellectual personal trainer. I set lower limits for myself than my advisors were willing to accept, and from their confidence and support i was able to reach higher than i thought possible. what a privilege.

a more accurate answer to what you must do is this:

1) technically: original non trivial research.

2) realistically: don't give up.

mathwonk said:
2) realistically: don't give up.

Absolutely! I've always said that Ph.D.'s are people who don't know enough to stop banging their head against the wall when it starts to hurt... :smile:

1. What is a PhD?

A PhD, or Doctor of Philosophy, is a postgraduate degree that involves conducting original research in a specific field and making a significant contribution to the body of knowledge in that field. It is the highest level of academic achievement and is typically required for careers in academia and research.

2. How long does it take to get a PhD?

The duration of a PhD program varies depending on the field of study, the research topic, and the individual student's progress. On average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD program, although some students may take longer. Factors such as coursework, comprehensive exams, and dissertation research and writing can also impact the length of the program.

3. What are the requirements for getting a PhD?

The specific requirements for a PhD vary by institution and program, but generally, they include completing coursework, passing comprehensive exams, conducting original research, and writing and defending a dissertation. In addition, many PhD programs require students to have a master's degree in a related field before applying.

4. What are the benefits of getting a PhD?

Obtaining a PhD can provide numerous benefits, including advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, improved career prospects and earning potential, and the opportunity to make a significant contribution to academic or scientific research. In addition, having a PhD can open doors to leadership positions in various industries and provide a sense of personal accomplishment and fulfillment.

5. Can I work while pursuing a PhD?

Many PhD programs allow students to work while pursuing their degree, either through teaching or research assistantships, or through outside employment. However, the workload and time commitments of a PhD program can be significant, so it is important to carefully consider if and how working will fit into your schedule and impact your progress towards obtaining your degree.