Exploring Photons: Understanding Their Origin and Fate

• Thread starter magicman54494
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of photons and their behavior. It is mentioned that photons are absorbed by electrons and can be readmitted at different frequencies, eventually becoming background radiation. The question of whether photons ever cease to exist or if there are constantly more being created is brought up, as well as the fact that photons do not have an electric charge. The conversation also mentions the infinite number of photons that can occupy the same space and the role of the electromagnetic field in generating charges. There is also a request for clarification on whether photons are emitted at the same frequency and if this is the natural lifespan of a photon.
magicman54494
I need to explain a bit before asking my question. I have been reading about where photons come from and I feel I understand that part fairly well. I am wondering where they end up. It only makes sense that without photons being eliminated there would eventually be more and more and more. I read that they are absorbed by electrons but from what I understand they are again released so they really arent eliminated by that means. There seem to be conflicting info as to whether they are absorbed and released or absorbed and a new photon emitted. In eithor case it's a one to one ratio so it ends up being a wash in reguards to elimination. So my question is: Where do photons go? Do they ever cease to exist or are there just more and more created?

Also I read that they are electromagnetic but I also read that they don't have an electrical charge. I don't understand. can someone explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Magicman, I might be wrong on this, so if I am I hope that someone will correct me. Anyway though. When photons are readmitted they don't have to be readmitted at the same frequency. For example, some types of substances can absorb UV light and readmit it as visible like. When one photon of UV light is absorbed two photons (or maybe more I am not sure) of visible light are emitted. And many other kinds of substances can absorb visible light and readmit it as heat. And after that the inferred photons can be absorbed and admitted at an even lower frequency. I guess what I am trying to get at is that the frequency of the photons keeps going down, so that in the end it just becomes background radiation that we would not notice. You might already know this, but photons are bosons, so an infinite number can occupy the same space. The number of photons that can be produced is limitless. Also as the universe expands it thins these photons out.

If I am wrong on any of this, I would like to be corrected by someone.

They don't have a charge because they are the charge.

Forestman said:
The number of photons that can be produced is limitless.
Yes, but numbers are meaningless, just because of that. The only thing that counts is the energy density of the photon field (i.e., the electromagnetic radiation field), and a number of related field quantities.
Forestman said:
If I am wrong on any of this, I would like to be corrected by someone.

They don't have a charge because they are the charge.
Photons are chargeless. The electromagnetic field is generated by charges, but it is not charged itself.

Forestman said:
When photons are readmitted they don't have to be readmitted at the same frequency.
Are they sometimes emitted at the same frequency?

Forestman said:
I guess what I am trying to get at is that the frequency of the photons keeps going down, so that in the end it just becomes background radiation that we would not notice.

Is this the normal "life" of a photon? I'm not educated in physics so I might not be using the right terminology. It just seems to me that if some sort of order or balance is to be maintained that if photons are constantly being made being made some would have to go away.

What is a photon?

A photon is the smallest unit of light and the basic unit of all other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It is a type of elementary particle that carries energy and is responsible for all electromagnetic interactions.

How are photons created?

Photons are created through a process known as electromagnetic radiation. This occurs when an atom or molecule absorbs energy and the electrons within it move to a higher energy state. When these electrons fall back to their original state, they emit a photon of light.

What is the fate of a photon?

The fate of a photon depends on its energy. Lower energy photons, such as those in the infrared or visible light spectrum, can be absorbed by matter and converted into another form of energy. Higher energy photons, such as those in the ultraviolet or X-ray spectrum, can undergo interactions with particles and create new particles.

Can photons be destroyed?

No, photons cannot be destroyed. They are considered to be elementary particles and cannot be broken down into smaller components. However, they can be absorbed or converted into other forms of energy.

Why are photons important in science?

Photons are important in science because they are the carriers of electromagnetic radiation, which is essential for many processes in the universe. They also play a crucial role in technologies such as solar panels, lasers, and communication devices. Understanding the origin and fate of photons can help us better understand the fundamental principles of our world.