Questions about Projectiles

Remember to include units in your calculations for accuracy. In summary, you correctly calculated the time it takes for a bullet fired horizontally at 250 m/s to strike a target at 100m as 0.4 seconds. Additionally, you correctly determined the downward component of velocity to be 3.92 m/s when the bullet strikes the target. Lastly, you accurately concluded that two balls thrown and dropped at the same height will hit the ground at the same time due to having the same initial vertical velocity of 0 and free falling with the same acceleration. Your calculations are correct, but remember to include units for accuracy.
Nubcake
I have a few questions about projectiles that I just want to verify that my calculations and working out is correct.

A bullet is fired horizontally from a rifle at 250 m s -1. after traveling 100m the bullet strikes a target

Calculate the time take for the bullet to strike the target
Calculate the downward component of velocity of the bullet when it strikes the target

S= ut

For the first one I did
100 = 250t
t =0.4 s

And the second
Since the initial vertical velocity is 0
u = 0
t = 0.4
a = 9.8

v = u + at
v = 0 + 9.8 x 0.4
v = 3.92 m s -1

Another question is

Simultaneously a ball is thrown horizontally from a height and another is dropped from rest at the same height , which ball hits the ground first?

My answer.

Both balls hit the ground at the same time since the initial vertical velocity of both balls is 0 they both free fall with the same acceleration.

Are these answers right because I do not have the answers to them

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched or thrown through the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (V^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can a projectile have a negative range?

Yes, a projectile can have a negative range if it is launched at an angle below the horizontal line. This means that the projectile will land behind the point of launch.

5. What is the maximum height a projectile can reach?

The maximum height a projectile can reach is equal to half of its range. This occurs when the projectile is launched at a 45-degree angle.