1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about simple pendulum

1. Nov 2, 2004 #1
    1) A simple pendulum consist of a mass m tied to a string (considered massless) of length L. So would a baseball bat suspended from one end, swinging back and forth, make a simple pendulum?

No, right? because the "string" in this case is not massless. Does the string that is swinging the mass always have to be massless for it to be a simple pendulum?

2) Under what conditions does an oscillating mass tied to a string constitute a simple pendulum?

Is it considered a simple pendulum when the mass is displaced from the suspension point?

3) The period of the variable-g pendulum is T^2 = K(1/geff).
    Upon what variables does K depend? (Hint: The moment of inertia is involved.)

don't know about this question :frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

These questions strike me as a bit odd.
    By usual definition, a simple pendulum is a point mass at the end of a massless "string". So, right, a baseball bat is not a "simple pendulum", but would be an example of a physical pendulum. But I'm not getting the point of the question.

Again, I have a hard time understanding the question. What's an "oscillating mass"? Do they mean a mass swinging at the end of a string? If the string is massless, it's a simple pendulum.

I'm guessing that they are looking for is under what conditions does this pendulum exhibit simple harmonic motion. Try answering that one.

I don't know what a "variable-g" pendulum is. In any case, figure out (or look up) the equation for the period of a physical pendulum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?