Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about sound waves

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    1-why does sound intensity increase at night?
    2-what makes diffraction of sound more observable than diffraction of light?
    3-reflection of sound takes place when it falls on a reflecting surface whatever the distance between the vibrating source and the surface
    but in case of echo there are certain conditions to be heard,,,so am I understanding this in the right way??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This depends or air density, humidity, temperature and wind direction. Denser air transmits sound better. Generally night air is usually denser then day air, so sound usually carries better at night.

Wavelength.
    Please rephrase question 3.

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    what makes denser air transmit sound better?

I know.but how?if the wavelength of a sound wave is bigger so what makes this observable?

I mean, echo is a result of sound reflection...but sound can reflect also without making an echo (depends upon the distance between the vibrating source and the reflecting surface)
    hope it's clear now
    Thanks very much for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook