What is the best way to approach learning about space physics?

In summary, the individual has a BS in physics and astronomy and will be taking master's level classes as part of a teacher training program. They are interested in "space physics" but are unsure of which specific field to focus on. They are wondering what books and courses are recommended for learning about space physics, and what is typically required to become a space physicist. They also mention the importance of plasma physics and fluid dynamics in this field, as well as its connection to geophysics. They are asking about the specific mathematics used in space physics and mention their plan to pursue a formal master's degree in the future. They also mention confusion about whether to focus on solar physics, plasma physics, geophysics, or magnetohydrodynamics
mishima
I have a BS in physics and astronomy from 8 years ago and am now about to be given the opportunity to take some masters level physics classes as part of a physics teacher training program. After doing a historical survey type project on aurora borealis (for a history of science class) I feel I'm most interested in that field called "space physics", which includes the magnetosphere, cosmic rays, and such.

-I'm wondering what books and courses can assist me in learning space physics. What are the standard texts? How are space physicists typically "made"?

-Specifically, is a comprehensive understanding of plasma physics required, or just space plasmas?

-Also, my degree didn't require a fluid dynamics course, and that also seems to be a huge part of space physics via magnetohydrodynamics.

-I'm also wondering how much a part of geophysics that space physics is in general. The ionosphere seems to be "theirs" based on my superficial inquiries.

-What mathematics is particularly in the spotlight for space physics (I'm assuming PDEs and complex analysis)?

The master's classes won't count towards any degree and may even just be audited. It is mainly so I acquire a "specialty" area whose research I can follow in a sophisticated way. Some time in the future I may return for a formal master's in the subject if I am truly engaged in it.

Thank you.

Edit: also of course solar physics plays a big role. I guess I'm just confused about what to really dig the deepest into, solar, plasma, geo, MHD, etc. Or if I really even need to and can instead just pursue "space physics" as its own thing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, is this a weird question? How can I rephrase this to get a response?

1. What is space physics?

Space physics is a branch of science that studies the physical processes and phenomena occurring in outer space, including the interactions between different objects in space and the effects of space weather on Earth.

2. What are the main topics covered in space physics?

Space physics covers a wide range of topics, including the study of the Earth's magnetic field, the behavior of particles in the solar wind, the formation and evolution of planets and stars, and the effects of cosmic rays and radiation on spacecraft and astronauts.

3. How is space physics connected to other scientific fields?

Space physics is closely connected to other fields such as astrophysics, planetary science, and atmospheric science. It also has applications in engineering, as understanding space weather is important for satellite and spacecraft design and operations.

4. What are some current research areas in space physics?

Some current research areas in space physics include the study of solar wind and its effects on Earth's magnetosphere, the formation and dynamics of planetary magnetospheres, and the study of space weather and its impact on technology and human activities in space.

5. How is space physics important for our daily lives?

Space physics plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting space weather, which can have significant impacts on satellite communications, GPS systems, power grids, and other technologies we rely on in our daily lives. It also helps us better understand the origins and evolution of our solar system and universe.