What strategies should I use to improve my score on the PGRE?

• Thread starter Zebrostrich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pgre
In summary: It may be more beneficial to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the test, and practice answering similar questions.I hope this helps answer some of your questions and provides some insight into the PGRE. Best of luck on your journey to achieve the highest score possible! In summary, it is possible for you to improve your score on the PGRE by studying strategically and aiming for a score of 900 or higher. Taking both tests can be beneficial, but it is important to prioritize your time and resources. The PGRE can be a valuable component in your graduate school application, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Focus on familiarizing yourself with the test format
Zebrostrich
Since the start of the semester, I have been preparing for this test. One professor, my de facto advisor, has reminded me repeatedly that, due to my less-than-outstanding GPA of 3.5ish, the PGRE could be my saving grace. While I will end up asking him all these questions, I am interested in getting some different opinions.

Anyway, about three weeks ago I took one practice test with no preparation whatsoever, and I scored 700, which was much better than what I and my advisor expected. I took another shortly after, and scored 680, so, despite being lower, I was more confident that it wasn't a fluke. For the past two weeks, I had been studying both the two tests and old textbooks. I decided to try another test today, and despite completely overlooking most of optics and RC/RLC/LC circuits (neither my introductory physics course nor my intermediate E&M course covered these in any great detail) in my study, I ended up getting an 800.

Here are some notes to help you in answering my following questions:

• I am only now taking a quantum mechanics course (albeit a slow and poorly taught one), so some things elude me. I have taken modern physics, which covers "baby" quantum mechanics, but we didn't go further than a few novel solutions to the Schrodinger equation. A lot of the braket notation and quantum harmonic oscillator stuff are over my head, but I'm sure that will be fixed soon. Even then, I got some of these problems right just by elimination.
  • Speaking of elimination, I have found that a lot of the questions I get right are questions that I only understand at a very surface level, but using that understanding I can narrow down the options easily. Working backwards seems to work very well.
  • On the other hand, I often spend way too much time on classical mechanics problems, things I SHOULD know, and I even end up getting them wrong because I am not thinking correctly. This is something that got better during the third test, but was still a problem.
  • I notice there are a lot of 'trick' questions, and inclusion of irrelevant variables. I didn't really make this connection until after this last test, or at least I didn't notice how prevalent it is. It seems like if I think it is a trick question, it probably is, and knowing that would save a lot of time.
  • I also notice that a lot of the questions are very similar, and in some cases exactly the same, just with different given values.
  • When taking these tests, I tried to maintain a rigorous timing scheme, so that it would emulate test taking environments.

Questions

If I were to study like I have been from now until the October test, based on the information I have given you and knowledge you have of other cases similar to mine, how much of an improvement would be reasonably expected? Would working my way to a 900 be unreasonable? 850? 950? I know there's definitely not enough information here to make a good assumption, so I'm just looking for something visceral.

Is it worth taking both tests if money is of a much lower priority than getting the best possible score? I have received conflicting information regarding this. Some say the fact that I took the test twice may look bad?

Would the PGRE really be my saving grace? What kind of score would I need to boost my 3.5 GPA and minimal research experience to vaguely the same level as the 'regular' 3.8ish student with noteworthy research? I just want the best possible educational opportunity I can get.

If scoring the highest I can is my #1 priority, would my time be better spent studying the test itself, and searching for and then answering questions like the ones that might appear on it? One problem I am having is that the questions that interest me are in no way PGRE questions--you know, the problems that take up entire pages, like coupled oscillators (though I have seen questions that ask for the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian, or the frequency of normal modes--simple things, though). It's tempting to spend (waste?) time solving these types of problems, but I'm wondering if it would serve a purpose that I am not considering.

I might think of more, but for now this is what was on my mind.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to offer my perspective on your questions and experiences with the PGRE.

Firstly, congratulations on your practice test scores! It seems like you have a good foundation in physics and are able to apply your understanding in a strategic way to answer questions. This is a valuable skill to have for the PGRE.

In terms of improvement, it is difficult to say exactly how much you can expect to improve by the October test. It depends on how much time and effort you put into studying, as well as your individual strengths and weaknesses. However, based on your practice test scores and your dedication to studying, I would say that aiming for a score of 900 or higher is definitely within reach.

Taking both tests can be beneficial, as it allows you to see your progress and identify areas for improvement. However, if money is a concern, it may be more efficient to focus on studying for one test and achieving the highest score possible.

The PGRE can definitely be a valuable component in your graduate school application, especially if your GPA and research experience are not as strong. A high score on the PGRE can demonstrate your proficiency in physics and make up for any deficiencies in other areas. However, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider, so it is important to also focus on strengthening your other qualifications.

In terms of studying for the test, I would recommend focusing on the types of questions that are typically asked on the PGRE. While it may be tempting to spend time on more complex physics problems, they may not be directly applicable to the test. Instead, try to find practice questions that closely resemble the types of questions you will encounter on the PGRE. This will help you become familiar with the format and style of the test, and improve your chances of success.

Overall, my advice would be to continue studying and practicing for the PGRE, but also make sure to focus on your overall application and strengthen your other qualifications as well. Best of luck on the October test!

1. What is the PGRE?

The PGRE (Physics Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used by many graduate schools in the United States to evaluate applicants for physics graduate programs. It assesses a student's knowledge and understanding of physics at the undergraduate level.

2. How is the PGRE scored?

The PGRE is scored on a scale of 200-990, with 200 being the lowest possible score and 990 being the highest. The average score is around 650. The score is based on the number of questions answered correctly, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers.

3. What topics are covered on the PGRE?

The PGRE covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and optics. It also includes mathematical methods commonly used in physics such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

4. How should I prepare for the PGRE?

To prepare for the PGRE, it is recommended to review undergraduate physics concepts and practice with sample questions and exams. There are also study guides and review books available for purchase. It is important to start studying early and consistently to best prepare for the exam.

5. Is the PGRE required for all physics graduate programs?

No, the PGRE is not required for all physics graduate programs. Some programs may have their own entrance exam or may not require an exam at all. It is important to research the requirements for each program you are interested in to determine if the PGRE is necessary.