1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the PGRE

Tags:
  1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    Since the start of the semester, I have been preparing for this test. One professor, my de facto advisor, has reminded me repeatedly that, due to my less-than-outstanding GPA of 3.5ish, the PGRE could be my saving grace. While I will end up asking him all these questions, I am interested in getting some different opinions.

Anyway, about three weeks ago I took one practice test with no preparation whatsoever, and I scored 700, which was much better than what I and my advisor expected. I took another shortly after, and scored 680, so, despite being lower, I was more confident that it wasn't a fluke. For the past two weeks, I had been studying both the two tests and old textbooks. I decided to try another test today, and despite completely overlooking most of optics and RC/RLC/LC circuits (neither my introductory physics course nor my intermediate E&M course covered these in any great detail) in my study, I ended up getting an 800.

Here are some notes to help you in answering my following questions:

• I am only now taking a quantum mechanics course (albeit a slow and poorly taught one), so some things elude me. I have taken modern physics, which covers "baby" quantum mechanics, but we didn't go further than a few novel solutions to the Schrodinger equation. A lot of the braket notation and quantum harmonic oscillator stuff are over my head, but I'm sure that will be fixed soon. Even then, I got some of these problems right just by elimination.
    • Speaking of elimination, I have found that a lot of the questions I get right are questions that I only understand at a very surface level, but using that understanding I can narrow down the options easily. Working backwards seems to work very well.
    • On the other hand, I often spend way too much time on classical mechanics problems, things I SHOULD know, and I even end up getting them wrong because I am not thinking correctly. This is something that got better during the third test, but was still a problem.
    • I notice there are a lot of 'trick' questions, and inclusion of irrelevant variables. I didn't really make this connection until after this last test, or at least I didn't notice how prevalent it is. It seems like if I think it is a trick question, it probably is, and knowing that would save a lot of time.
    • I also notice that a lot of the questions are very similar, and in some cases exactly the same, just with different given values.
    • When taking these tests, I tried to maintain a rigorous timing scheme, so that it would emulate test taking environments.

Questions

If I were to study like I have been from now until the October test, based on the information I have given you and knowledge you have of other cases similar to mine, how much of an improvement would be reasonably expected? Would working my way to a 900 be unreasonable? 850? 950? I know there's definitely not enough information here to make a good assumption, so I'm just looking for something visceral.

Is it worth taking both tests if money is of a much lower priority than getting the best possible score? I have received conflicting information regarding this. Some say the fact that I took the test twice may look bad?

Would the PGRE really be my saving grace? What kind of score would I need to boost my 3.5 GPA and minimal research experience to vaguely the same level as the 'regular' 3.8ish student with noteworthy research? I just want the best possible educational opportunity I can get.

If scoring the highest I can is my #1 priority, would my time be better spent studying the test itself, and searching for and then answering questions like the ones that might appear on it? One problem I am having is that the questions that interest me are in no way PGRE questions--you know, the problems that take up entire pages, like coupled oscillators (though I have seen questions that ask for the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian, or the frequency of normal modes--simple things, though). It's tempting to spend (waste?) time solving these types of problems, but I'm wondering if it would serve a purpose that I am not considering.

I might think of more, but for now this is what was on my mind.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted