Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the Sn group

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    I have two questions about this group that I think I have an idea about but am unsure of. The first question is how many elements in the Sn group can map 1 to any particular elements, say n-2?
    The second question is how do you find the order of the stabilizer of 5 in Sn?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2011 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

suppose that σ in Sn maps 1→k.then we have n-1 choices for σ(2) (anything but k), n-2 choices for σ(3) (it can't be k or σ(2)), and so on. how many choices will this make in all?

now suppose that σ is in Stab(5). let σ(n) = a (which certainly isn't 5) then (5 n)σ(5 n) takes:

5→n→a→a
    n→5→5→n, if a≠n, and

5→n→n→5
    n→5→5→n, if a = n.

in either case, we see that (5 n)σ(5 n) is in Stab(n).

thus, the map σ→(5 n)σ(5 n) is an isomorphism of Stab(5) with Stab(n) (it's a bijection because conjugation by any element of a group G is a bijection of G with itself).

but if we have an element of Stab(n), there is a natural isomorphism of this subgroup of Sn with Sn-1, do you see what it is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook