Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the theory

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    I ran across this on a website. The problem is, because heat spreads out slower than light, when the big bang explodes and expands at the speed of light then there should be unequal heat regions all over the universe. But this is not true according to observation. Why is this so?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2007 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The standard explanation is inflation. The problem is known as "the horizon problem". See for instance http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmoall.htm (I'll provide a short quote to point out the specific applicable section).

The "flatness-oldness" problem (i.e. why omega is close to one) is also explained by inflation.

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

That does not make any sense to me, csrichie. Heat is transferred by kinetic and photonic energy, according to current theories. The speed of transfer is interrupted by molecules jostling for a more stable position in the grand scheme of things.

5. Apr 12, 2007 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that the Big Bang was not like a conventional "explosion" (it was, in part, the rapid expansion of all space) Also, it didn't expand at the speed of light (at least, not for more than an instant as you'll see from pervect's info about the inflationary period). Also note that there are observable variations in the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?