1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions About VECTORS.

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A) Vector A = 7.00 m and points 40.0o north of east. Vector B = 1.90 m and points 15.0o west of north, and Vector C = 2.10 m and points 15.0o west of south.
    What is the magnitude of the resultant vector A+B+C?

B) What angle does the resultant vector A+B+C make with respect to the east?

The attempt at a solution
    [​IMG]
    I know, you wish I hadn't tried. ahaha.

Link incase the above doesn't show up:
    http://i36.tinypic.com/f9qcee.jpg

Annnd I also got 5.35 m & 83.2 deg at some point.

Thanks,
    KP.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Nice picture.

Apparently you understand that the sum of the Vectors can be represented as the sum of the components in x and y.

Unfortunately the y component of your B vector is calculated incorrectly (how can a vector of 1.9 have a 3.37 component?), dooming your effort to get the right answer.

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    woww. silly mistake. forgot to sq rt it. haha. pretend it says 1.84 :). where do i go from there?
    Would this be correct?
    Sum of y = Ay+By+Cy
    Sum of x = Ax+Bx+Cx
    ?
    And then use sin/cos/tan to get the angle?

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK. Let's pretend too that you know that the resulting vector is the scalar addition of the x components and the scalar addition of the y components.

Add up all the x's.
    Add up all the y's.

Express that as a vector with magnitude - doing that Pythagoras thing you do and figure the angle from the arctan in degrees and then get credit for a right answer.

6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    I got it! Thank you thank you! :) Guess I just needed a second set of eyes.

7. Sep 29, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Cheers and good luck then.

No more math errors now.

8. Sep 29, 2008 #7
    Haha no promises, but I will double check my calculations in the future (even the really simple ones). :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?