Questions in conductivity of solutions

In summary, the conversation covers points related to the conductivity of solutions experiment. The results obtained were the acid concentration in mol/dm and the conductance in mS. The person is asking for help in determining the acid concentration in mol m, the square root of the acid concentration, and the molar conductivity. They also discuss Kohlrausch's law and whether Mandelic acid and HCl obey the equation and if they are strong or weak acids. The literature value of HCl is also mentioned. The conversation is for a chemlab experiment in physical chemistry and there is a link provided for more information. It is noted that HCl is a strong acid. The person is willing to assist with the problem but requires more information, as
DW_1983
Hi everyone :)

please I need help to show me what to do with these points related to the conductivity of solutions experiment :

1- results I got from this experiment are the acid in mol dm and the conductance in mS.

however, how can I get the aci in mol m,square root of the acid in mol/dm and the molar conductivity?

2- In Kohlrausch's law, do Mandelic acid and HCL obey the equation and are they strong or weak acids?

3- What's the literature value of HCL?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
what course is this for?

it's for chemlab (physical chem.) experiments...

I've not taken physical chem before...here's a link, hopefully it'll refresh your memory. Otherwise, chemtr or someone else should be able to help you out.

http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/~eugeniik/history/kohlrausch.htm

By the way HCl is a strong acid. The experiment seems simple enough, I may be able to assist you with the problem, yet I don't have the complete info on this subject with me at this time. You can try explaining it more extensively. Also it seems that some of the questions actually depend upon your experimental results, you should discuss these also.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is conductivity and how does it relate to solutions?

Conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. In solutions, conductivity is related to the concentration of ions in the solution. The higher the concentration of ions, the higher the conductivity of the solution.

2. What factors can affect the conductivity of a solution?

The conductivity of a solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of ions, and the presence of impurities or other substances in the solution. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the conductivity of the solution.

3. How is the conductivity of a solution measured?

The conductivity of a solution is typically measured using a conductivity meter, which measures the electrical resistance of the solution. The lower the resistance, the higher the conductivity of the solution.

4. What are some examples of highly conductive solutions?

Solutions that contain high concentrations of ions, such as salt water, acids, and bases, tend to be highly conductive. These solutions allow electricity to flow easily due to the presence of charged particles.

5. How can the conductivity of a solution be increased or decreased?

The conductivity of a solution can be increased by increasing the concentration of ions or raising the temperature of the solution. It can be decreased by diluting the solution, lowering the temperature, or adding substances that reduce the ion concentration.