1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions of Physics Olympiad

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1
    1. For a gas if p and v denote the co-efficient of volume expansion at a constant pressure and coefficient of pressure at a constant volume respectively, then
    1)p>v 2)p<v 3)p=v 4)p=0 and v=0

2. The horizontal component(H), vertical component (V) and total intensity (I) of the earth's magnetic field are related as ______________.

3. A current of 50 mA flows for 0.5 hours through an electric circuit, the number of electrons which will dift in the circuit will be? (Charge on one electron= 1.6*10^-19 C)

4.Work done in moving a charge of 2 coulomb from a point at 118 volt to a point at 128 volts will be _____________

My answers
    1. p=v
    2. I^2=V^2+H^2
    3. whatdoes "mA" mean?
    4. W=F*d; how can we find it out in this case?

I am not aware about these questions. Please tell me the solutions and some tutorials of relevant opics. Thanks a lot!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2006 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

correct
    mA means milliamp, 1mA=10^-3A
    Change in voltage is defined as work done per unit charge, so [itex] W=q\Delta V [/itex]

4. Dec 15, 2006 #3
    Please tell me how I was correct in question 2. Thanks for telling me about the rest of the questions. Thanks a lot.

5. Dec 15, 2006 #4
    Please do help me :(

6. Dec 15, 2006 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you split the earth's magnetic field into horizontal and vertical components, then the total intensity is the resultant of these forces. If you draw the diagram of the situation, it will become clear that the total intensity is the diagonal of the rectangle formed by the horizontal and vertical components. Applying Pythagoras' Theorem to the right angled triangle formed by the two components and their resultant gives the required result.

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6
    u were wrong

8. Sep 29, 2009 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Who was wrong, me? How so?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?