Is There an Anti-Universe and Do Antimatter Particles Effect Themselves?

• Thread starter chuckosity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about the existence of an "anti-universe" and whether or not every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The concept of an anti-universe is purely speculative and outside the realm of normal science. It is also explained that there is no fundamental difference between matter and anti-matter and that energy is conserved in the destruction of particles. The existence of massless particles and their connection to gravity is also mentioned.
chuckosity
Here are several perplexing questions that i have been pondering recently and i really don't know who I would ask this so I am just asking everywhere. since every action has an equal and opposite reaction is there an anti-universe does gravity effect itself? is there anti gravity? do antimatter particles effect itself by destroying itself into nothing? do massless particles exist an do they effect each other gravitation wise?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is an "anti-universe" ? Is that something you just dreamed up?

ya but think about it if every action has an equal and opposite action wouldn't the creation of matter have to have a opposite reaction?

chuckosity said:
ya but think about it if every action has an equal and opposite action wouldn't the creation of matter have to have a opposite reaction?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, chuckosity!

You have a good question, and I have often wondered the same thing (just the part about an anti-universe). I actually think it is "possible". This is what is often called an "ad hoc" hypothesis. Which is to say we dream it up knowing there is no real way to check it out.

There is no fundamental difference between matter and anti-matter. You could call our universe "anti-matter" and there would be no meaningful difference in what we would witness in experiments. It is *possible* that the big bang created both a universe and an anti-universe. Were that the case, each would go a different direction in time. However, this idea is completely speculative and we have no way to verify the idea. As such, that essentially puts it outside the realm of normal science.

As to particles and anti-particles destroying themselves into nothing: there IS something that results, and that is energy. Energy is conserved. Also: Massless particles DO have a connection to the gravitational field. Good questions, you should keep reading about this and learn more.

What is the universe?

The universe is the entirety of everything that exists, including all matter, energy, space, and time.

How old is the universe?

The current scientific consensus is that the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years old.

What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since.

What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It is estimated to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe.

Is there life on other planets?

While there is currently no definitive evidence of extraterrestrial life, many scientists believe that it is highly probable given the vastness of the universe and the number of potentially habitable planets. The search for extraterrestrial life is an ongoing area of research in the scientific community.