Questions on AC Power Homework: Ip = V/Z & P =(I^2)R

In summary: If you have a reactive load then the voltage and current are out of phase and the angle has to be taken into account.The Attempt at a Solution I'm just confused as to why Ip = V/Z (first red box)? I thought I = V/Z so why is it Ip (the peak value) in this case? As for the second red box, why have they divided it by two? Usually P =( I^2)R no?The Attempt at a Solution When a voltage is denoted as, e.g., 8∠40°, there can be some ambiguity as to whether the 8 is peak or RMS, and you must rely on
influx

Homework Statement

http://photouploads.com/images/fullsizere.jpg

I did not embed the image as its quite large

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just confused as to why Ip = V/Z (first red box)? I thought I = V/Z so why is it Ip (the peak value) in this case? As for the second red box, why have they divided it by two? Usually P =( I^2)R no?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When a voltage is denoted as, e.g., 8∠40°, there can be some ambiguity as to whether the 8 is peak or RMS, and you must rely on other cues to guide you.

If the signal is written as an explicit time function, e.g., 8.cos(wt-40°) as seen in the lower left of the board, then the 8 there is definitely the peak value. So it seems your teacher was representing the phasor by its peak value when writing it in the concise amplitude∠angle form.

power = I² R where I is the RMS value

If you have the peak value, then divide each by √2, then it's all squared

NascentOxygen said:
When a voltage is denoted as, e.g., 8∠40°, there can be some ambiguity as to whether the 8 is peak or RMS, and you must rely on other cues to guide you.
If nothing else is specified than the number is RMS value. That's convention in electrical engineering.

NascentOxygen said:

If the signal is written as an explicit time function, e.g., 8.cos(wt-40°) as seen in the lower left of the board, then the 8 there is definitely the peak value. So it seems your teacher was representing the phasor by its peak value when writing it in the concise amplitude∠angle form.

power = I² R where I is the RMS value

If you have the peak value, then divide each by √2, then it's all squared

Does the I in the above equation always = the RMS I value or can it also equal Ip? As in can power ever = (Ip)² R ?

Also, Ip = 1.68<-25.4 A , so why is the angle ignored when substituting into the formula for power? (only the magnitude of 1.68 is subbed in?)

Last edited:
instantaneous power p(t) =i(t)² R
so whatever i(t) you use gives the power at that instant

If you need to determine the peak power in a resistive load, then use the peak current.

Usually we are interested in average power, and for that you use the RMS of the time variable. This means that any AC waveform of RMS value V volts gives the same heating in a resistor as does a DC voltage also of exactly V volts.

Power is a time average over one period, so any phase angle disappears.

Last edited:
influx said:
Does the I in the above equation always = the RMS I value or can it also equal Ip? As in can power ever = (Ip)² R ?
Equation power = I2R refers to the average power and I is RMS value. IF you know the current has a perfect sine waveform, than you can write power = Ip2R/2 . But if the current wave form is distorded (in most of the cases in reality) than with second equation you make error in calculation. OTOH, if you use RMS value , calculation for any waveform is correct.

Also, Ip = 1.68<-25.4 A , so why is the angle ignored when substituting into the formula for power? (only the magnitude of 1.68 is subbed in?)
Becouse voltage is in phase with current if the load is purely resisive.

1. What is the formula for calculating AC power?

The formula for calculating AC power is P = (I^2)R, where P represents power in watts, I represents current in amperes, and R represents resistance in ohms.

2. How do I calculate the current in an AC circuit?

To calculate the current in an AC circuit, you can use the formula I = V/Z, where I represents current in amperes, V represents voltage in volts, and Z represents impedance in ohms. Impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance in an AC circuit.

3. What is the significance of the "I^2" term in the power formula?

The "I^2" term in the power formula represents the square of the current. This is due to the fact that power is proportional to the square of the current, meaning that as current increases, power increases exponentially.

4. How does resistance affect AC power?

Resistance plays a crucial role in the calculation of AC power. As resistance increases, power decreases, and vice versa. This is because resistance limits the flow of current in a circuit, resulting in a decrease in power.

5. Can the AC power formula be used for DC circuits?

No, the AC power formula cannot be used for DC circuits. This is because in DC circuits, the current and voltage are constant, whereas in AC circuits, they are constantly changing. Therefore, the formula for calculating DC power is P = IV, where I represents current and V represents voltage.