Questions on Acceleration

1. Okay, Can someone do these for me so I can understand acceleration:

My car can reach a maximum speed of 150km/hr. And my car can acclerate at 5km/hr2. How long will it take for my car to reach 150km/hr from rest.
    I know acceleration is the velocity of the velocity and the eqn for acceleration but I don't know how it works.

2. jcsd
  3. Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Chegg
    From the definition of acceleration as the rate of change of velocity, the average acceleration will equal the change in velocity divided by the time:
    a = (Vf - Vi)/t or Vf = Vi + at

Plugging in your values and solving for time gives: t = 30 hr.

4. So in 1 hour, it went from 0km/hr to 5km/hr. And in the 2nd, it went to 10km\hr. In 5 hours, how much distance did it cover?

5. Doc Al

At the end of 5 hours, its speed will be 25 km/hr. During those 5 hours the average speed, since it started from rest, is 12.5 km/hr. Use that speed to calculate the distance: 62.5 km.

6. 1hr=5km/hr
    2hr=10km/hr
    3hr=15km/hr
    4hr=20km/hr
    5hr=25km/hr
    5+10+15+20+25=75
    75/5=15km\hr
    at the end of 5hr, it will be 15km\hr x 5hr, which is 75km.
    Why is the answer 62.5km?

7. Doc Al

These are the speeds at those times. So?
    What's this supposed to represent? Not the distance travel in each hour, I hope.

If that's what you're doing, start by working out the distance traveled in the first hour. Hint: It's not 5 km.

(I'm going to split off this discussion into a separate thread in "Intro Phys".)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?