Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on conditions for calculating flux integrals?

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    Conditions for calculating flux integrals? [Figured it out]

If one uses Stokes' theorem and if two oriented surfaces S1 and S2 share a boundary ∂s then the flux integral of curl(F) across S1 equals the flux integral of curl(F) across S2. However, in general it won't be true that flux integral G across S1 equals the flux integral of G across S2. If you can show that div(G) = 0, then will the flux integral be independent of the surface (assuming they share ∂s?)

I was thinking if flux of G across S1 = flux of G across S2, when flux of G across S1 U S2 is 0 and then you can apply the divergence theorem, and div G must be 0. My question is, is Div(G) = 0 a sufficient condition, or only works sometimes?

Also if a surface S is closed (has no boundary) then we know flux of curl(F) through S is 0, but not necessarily flux of F through S. If F is a conservative field then given S is closed then flux of F through S is zero, but does div F = 0 also imply that flux of F through S, when S is closed, is 0?

Conservative fields have 0 curl, but is there any relation between divergence and conservative fields? What are the implications of no divergence, everywhere I look it says "under suitable conditions" you can do this and this, but it doesn't clarify what those suitable conditions are.

EDIT:
    Nvm most of my questions are answered when I realized div F = 0 => F = curl G, so ques 1: Yes b/c of the aforementioned observation, ques 2: div F = 0 => flux of F = 0 by div. thm. , and ques 3 is just that observation div F = 0 => F = curl G.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted