1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on electrons incident on a metal surface

1. May 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electrons with kinetic energy E are incident normally from vacuum on a metal surface. The work function of the metal is F. Calculate the fraction of electrons reflected from the surface. Neglect any temperature effects.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since work function is defined as the minimal energy required to extract one electron from the metal, all the electrons with energy larger than F will be reflected.

From statistical mechanics, the so-called "electrons with kinetic energy E" are actually electrons with an energy distribution. My feeling is the this E is the average energy from this distribution. And the fraction of electrons reflected is the fraction of electrons with energy larger than F in this distribution. But I am wondering how I can get the distribution. Should I use Boltzman velocity distribution and derive the energy distribution? Or should it be a Gaussian distribution peaked at E? It never indicates the temperature in the problem, but I feel temperature should matter here.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?