Questions on Future Job Market

In summary, the Institute of Technology asks about majors that may have a higher demand in the job market and have a larger scope of potential employment.
Helicobacter
I need to fall a decision which major to choose for an Institute of Technology. (SAT scores of Mid 50% Enrolled Freshmen: Crit. Rdg.: 555/Math: 580.) Although I know that personal interest should be the central criteria for falling a decision, I am nonetheless curious about the information inquired by the questions following the listing of provided majors:

Apparel/Textile Engineering Technology
Architecture
Biology
Civil Engineering Technology
Computer Engineering Technology
Computer Science
Construction
Electrical Engineering Technology
Humanities & Technical Communication
Industrial Engineering Technology
Information Technology
International Studies
International Technical Communication
Management
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering Technology
Physics
Software Engineering
Surveying and Mapping
Telecommunications Engineering Technology

1. With which one of the above listed majors of an acquired bachelor undergraduate degree will I be, most likely, in highest demand, and thus in the field of having the highest earning potential and base salary (financial compensation) in the job market of industrialized nations in 2010 et seqq.?

2. With which one of the above listed majors of an acquired bachelor undergraduate degree will I have, most likely, the largest scope of potential employment/flexibility/fields to which your major can be applied in the job market of industrialized nations in 2010 et seqq.?

Thanks in advance!

(Please provide exclusively serious, relevant, and competent answers!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure why you put construction up there, but I think out of all of those above mentioned jobs, you are most likely to make the most money in construction (as a general contractor).

I work as a roofer (just a roofer-- not the actual contractor), and make 25-50$ per square of shingles-- whereas my boss charges 400$ per square, and a little less than half of that is supplies and labor. By myself on a typical house, i can bang out 12-15 square in 2 days... Just think of the money my boss makes.

What are entry-level job options for a college underg degree in physics?

TheCavortr said:
What are entry-level job options for a college underg degree in physics?

Research/lab assistant.

Mayb you can read up on the jobs.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a Technology University? Are these 4-year or 2-year degrees? Are all those that you list offered at the same institution, or is there a mix (like construction and EE Technology)? How different is EE Technology from EE? A 4-year degree in Electrical Engineering (and good performance in relevant summer employment) would satisfy both -1- and -2- in your questions, but I don't know about EE Technology.

I would not have heard of any difference between an EE and an EET degree. I am referring to four-year bachelor degrees. Technology University = Institute of Technology.

According to my intro to engineering professor, from a few semesters ago, there is a big difference between an engineering degree and an engineering technology degree. The engineering degree is always a 4-year bachelor degree while the engineering technology degree can be a two or 4-year program. Their jobs are very different and so is the pay.

An easy way to check is to look at the math requirements. If calc III, diff Eq, and linear algebra are required, then it's an engineering degree. If not, it's an engineering tech degree.

Calculus III, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra are required.

An easy way to check is to look at the math requirements. If calc III, diff Eq, and linear algebra are required, then it's an engineering degree. If not, it's an engineering tech degree.

Not entirely true. There are several universities in NY where all of the above math courses are required for an Engineering Tech degree (4 year).

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#earnings
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos112.htm#earnings
I guess the salary for the (engineering) technicains (2 year degree) is lower than that of an (engineering) technologist (4 year degree). So it seems that with the 4 years degree, the salary gets very close to the actual engineers salary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just go to a University? I know that there is probabally not that much difference, but I bet that most companies prefer a EE than an EET. Do I agree? Not exactly, actually you might get more technical classes rather than the "well rounded" degree the University students get but HR might be told to accept EE and may unfairly reject your EET.

All that aside, you will find that the classes for almost all engineering fields are nearly Identical for the first 2 years. If you have taken physics and chemistry, you can decide what interests you most and go for that. You can always change it later w/o loosing credit. Also, you might be required to take an intr to engineering course that will help you decide.

Last edited:
JSBeckton said:
Why not just go to a University? I know that there is probabally not that much difference, but I bet that most companies prefer a EE than an EET.

Well, now I am confused. As above mentioned, the addressed Institute of Technology requires Calculus III, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra to graduate. In addition to that, I was told by representatives of that Institute of Technology that their programs require four years of attendance in order to get a degree. Consequently, why do they offer bachelor of Engineering Technology degrees, if they require the input of an engineering degree (four years with a.m. math classes), and not the conventional two-years-tech program?

ranger: Thanks for those links. That's exactely a part of the data I wanted.

Last edited:
You might want to pose the question to them, why do you call it a bachelor of Engineering Technology instead of a bachelor of Engineering? There must be some difference, what is it? and how will it effect your job search?

JSBeckton said:
You might want to pose the question to them, why do you call it a bachelor of Engineering Technology instead of a bachelor of Engineering?

They call it that way, "bachelor of Engineering Technology", on their website.

We're not going to be able to help you, Heliobacter, if all you've give us is vague descriptions about a vauge school. Show us their website if you want us to actually give you any relevant advice.

Your question boils down to "Would I make more money as a contractor, or with a degree that you've never heard of, and don't know anything about?"

- Warren

If you simply want a job immediately after you graduate, Engineering is usually the way to go (though I haven't the foggiest about "Engineering Technology"). Something else you might want to consider is where you want to work, post grad or otherwise; if you live in a place where the locals are content talking to each other via 'can and string', you might not have much luck with telecommunications.

diesel828 said:
Research/lab assistant.

What kind of a company did you have in mind? And what types of duties would you associate with that position?

The engineering technology degree may require calc 3, DE, and linear algebra, but they might be watered down "applied" versions of the courses, and there will be less theory.

1. What are the current trends in the job market?

The current trends in the job market include a growing demand for jobs in technology, healthcare, and renewable energy sectors. There is also a shift towards remote and flexible work arrangements, as well as a focus on diversity and inclusion in the workplace.

2. How will advancements in technology impact future job opportunities?

Advancements in technology will create new job opportunities in fields such as artificial intelligence, data analysis, and cybersecurity. However, it will also lead to the automation of certain jobs, so it is important for individuals to continuously upskill and adapt to changing technologies.

3. What skills will be most valuable in the future job market?

In the future job market, skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and adaptability will be highly valuable. Additionally, skills in technology, communication, and collaboration will also be in demand.

4. How will the gig economy affect the job market?

The gig economy, which refers to short-term or freelance work, is expected to continue to grow in the future job market. This will provide individuals with more flexibility in their work, but it may also lead to a decrease in traditional full-time job opportunities.

5. What industries are expected to see growth in the future job market?

Industries such as renewable energy, healthcare, and technology are expected to see significant growth in the future job market. Additionally, the aging population is expected to create more job opportunities in fields related to senior care and services.