Discover the Most Likely Room Temperature for Jack's Heat Experiment

• Thread starter klng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, Jack wrapped two glass bottles of water at 20 degC in separate washcloths - one wet and one dry. After 20 minutes, the water in the bottle with the wet washcloth was 18 degC, while the water in the bottle with the dry washcloth was 22 degC. The most likely room temperature during this experiment was 26 degC, as heat would need to transfer from a hotter environment to a cooler one to reach these temperatures. The wet washcloth would also aid in absorbing heat from both the environment and the water due to its high heat capacity.
klng

Homework Statement

Jack took two glass bottles containing water at 20 degC and wrapped them separately in washcloths. One of the washcloths was wet and the other was dry. Twenty minutes later, she measured the water temperature in each bottle. The water in the bottle with the wet washcloth was 18 degC, while the water in the bottle with the dry wash-cloth was 22degC. The most likely room temperature during this experiment was:

Homework Equations

Choose one of the following options:
a) 26 degC
b) 21 degC
c) 20 degC
d) 18 degC

The Attempt at a Solution

My predicted ans: 26 deg C. Heat has to go from a hotter environment to a cooler environment (i.e. 20 degC) to make one of the bottles (i.e. wrapped in dry cloth) attain a moderate temp of 22 deg C. For the one wraped in wet cloth, my guess is that water in the cloth is cooler than 20 deg C. Hence this wet wash cloth will absorb heat both from the environment, and the water, facilitated by water's high heat capacity.

Opinions on my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is correct.

Thanks.

1. What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects or systems due to a difference in temperature. It is a result of the random movement of particles in a substance.

2. How is heat measured?

Heat is measured in units of energy, such as joules or calories. The most common unit used for heat is the calorie, which is defined as the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy between two objects or systems due to a difference in temperature.

4. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat can be transferred through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects or substances. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

5. How does insulation affect heat transfer?

Insulation can reduce the rate of heat transfer by trapping air and creating a barrier between two objects or systems. This is because air is a poor conductor of heat. Insulation is commonly used in buildings to keep the interior temperature regulated, and in containers to keep food and drinks hot or cold.