1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on Lenses

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You wish to project a slide on a screen. One of the letters on the slide is a p. When you place the slide in the projector, how much the letter look when you insert the slide(as seen from behind the projector)? Explain.

a) p
    b) d
    c) b
    d) q
    2. Relevant equations
    How converging (convex) and Diverging (concave) lenses work.

3. The attempt at a solution
    EDIT: I believe the answer is all letters will be the same because slide projectors produce images that are the same size, virtual and upright. Could someone tell me if I'm right or wrong? Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A slide projector projects images that are formed on some kind of screen. Can you form a virtual image on a screen?
  4. Oct 8, 2007 #3
    I do believe virtual images can be shown on a screen, but I think the image would be real, because the light comes together or something like that?
  5. Oct 8, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A virtual image cannot be formed on a screen. In a virtual image, the light seems as if if comes from a certain point. The image is at this point. Since the light isn't actually there, a screen placed there will not show an image.

So what type of image do you want to form in order for it to appear on a screen and will it be upright or upside down?
  6. Oct 9, 2007 #5
    Thanks, I got it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?