Exploring the Speed of Light: Unraveling Mysteries of Mass and Photons

• Thread starter tenzin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, Photons, being massless particles, travel at the speed of light because they have no inertia and any amount of force applied to them would result in infinite acceleration. This is necessary for energy conservation and to maintain causality in a geometric spacetime. Therefore, photons do not actually move, but transmit energy waves at the speed of light, making them seem as though they are moving.
tenzin
I stumbled onto your question about why photons move at C in the Quantum Theory Forum:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why is it that massive objects can not travel the speed of light but massless objects can?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume it's going to be difficult to get a real scientific answer outside of the usual mathematical explanations. I suppose know one really knows why massless particles travel at C.

It's been suggested that massive particles travel at C through time as massless particles travel at C through space. I'm know authority on physics but it is interesting to think about. Do you have any ideas about this or are you just searching for your own answers right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I may not fully understand your question, so please excuse me.

Energy must be put behind an object with mass to give it acceleration. The faster an object comes to c the more energy it needs, until it needs an infinite amount of energy to reach c. And because the universe works on real numbers, we could never get an infinite amount of energy behind a massive object.

The possibility behind a massless particle always traveling c is becuase (you must excuse me on this, I won't be able to get it out correctly) any number put into zero is still zero. So any amount of force from a massive object could relativly be considered infinite to the massless particle, giving it the speed of c.

Now the question is, Why does it only go c, instead of having an infinitly fast velocity?

Consider ...

Photons do not move.

They are stationary bits sewn into the fabric of spacetime.

Electromagnetic signals are transmitted from photon to photon in waveform.

The massless photon does not travel at the speed of light - it is the transferred energy wave that moves at c.

We live in a Universe that is a photon soup.

:wink:

There are several ways to describe this, but I'm not sure that anything would be "deep enough" for you. Everything in physics has axioms at some point that you just have to deal with.

If you accept that a geometric spacetime makes sense, then nothing could travel faster than light. Say that you pick two points A and B on a superluminal (spacelike) trajectory. Some (subluminal) observers will see A before B, while others will see the reverse. That obviously makes no sense if you believe in causality. So all objects travel at or below the speed of light (null or timelike trajectories).

A particle at rest travels along a timelike trajectory. You could accelerate the particle, but its maximum speed can't go above c from the causality argument. Now the particle can either be accelerated up to c (exactly), or not. If that could be done in finite time, it would be very strange for there to be a sudden limit to where the object couldn't be pushed anymore. Aesthetically, a smooth transition should occur. Therefore massive particles can only reach c asymptotically.

From the usual meaning of mass as it relates to inertia, a massless particle should have no inertia - the slightest touch would "infinitely" accelerate it. This would mean that massless particles should always move at the limiting velocity of a massive particle, which is of course the speed of light.

Also, if the massless particle where moving at any less than the speed of light, someone could theoretically be in its rest frame where it would have zero energy. This violates energy (-momentum) conservation.

1. What is the speed of light and why is it important?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This constant value plays a crucial role in many areas of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is also a fundamental constant in Einstein's theory of relativity, which explains the relationship between space and time.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, no. The speed of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Anything that has mass, including particles and objects, will require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light. However, some theories suggest that certain particles, such as neutrinos, may travel faster than light, but this is still a topic of debate and requires further evidence.

3. How does the speed of light relate to mass and energy?

Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², shows the relationship between mass and energy. It states that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing, and the speed of light is the factor that converts between them. This also explains why it is impossible for anything with mass to reach the speed of light, as it would require infinite energy.

4. Why is the speed of light constant in a vacuum but not in other mediums?

The speed of light in a vacuum is a fundamental constant and does not change. However, when light travels through different mediums, such as air or water, its speed will decrease due to interactions with the atoms and molecules in the medium. This is why light appears to bend when passing through different substances.

5. How do scientists measure the speed of light?

There are various methods for measuring the speed of light, including using lasers, interference patterns, and astronomical observations. One of the most accurate methods is through the use of a device called a Michelson interferometer, which measures the time it takes for light to travel between two mirrors. This method has been used to determine the speed of light to a high degree of precision.