Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on model theory.

1. Jun 17, 2007 #1
    question in model theory.
    let L={P_n|n \in N}
    every P_n is an unary predicate. let's define a theory that says that every two finite disjoint sets I and J of N, such that the intersection (^(i \in I)P_i)^(^(j \in J)~P_j) ("^" means conjunction) is infinite.
    1. is the theory complete?
    2. how many nonisomorphic models the theory has?

well, i think that the thoery (which i shall denote it by T) is incomplete, one way to show this is to use godel's first incompleteness theorem, so i need to prove that T is axiomatic, and the weak arithematics theory is a subset of it.
    to show that WA (weak arithematics) is a subset of T, i think that every closed formula in WA can be written with 2-place predicate "<" and suitable quantifiers and connectives, so i need to show that we can represent them with an unary predicate, not sure how to do it.
    i dont know how to show that T is axiomatic.
    this is ofcourse all based on the assumption that T is incomplete, maybe it is complete.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted