Questions on Neutrinos: How Do We Know?

• Thread starter Ms Music
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrinos
In summary, the conversation discusses the detection of neutrinos and how the number of neutrinos passing through us can be estimated. Theoretical and experimental reasons are given for this estimate, with the latter being in good agreement with the former. The concept of "a few" neutrinos is also clarified in relation to the detection capabilities of current detectors.
Ms Music
Sorry, I am just a newbie here, but I hope I can ask some basic questions about neutrinos that I haven't been able to find in books?

My first question for starters... then I will see how it goes.

If science has only been able to detect a few neutrinos, how do we know for certain that billions are passing through my body as you read this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two basic reasons - theoretical and experimental.

Theoretical: The fusion reactions which make the sun (and all stars, etc.) shine produces lots of neutrinos - the physicists have made good estimates.

Experimental: Since the reaction rates of neutrinos are very small and are known, the experiments detecting them can be used to estimate the number passing through the device and therefore through us. Moreover the estimates are in good agreement with the theoretical estimate of solar neutrinos.

Hmmm, guess I definitely need to read up again. I thought that detectors had only been able to detect a few...

Ms_Music: define "a few" ? :)

They detect as many as they should according to theory.

1. What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electric charge and very little mass. They are one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe and are created in nuclear reactions.

2. How do we detect neutrinos?

Neutrinos are detected using large detectors, such as underground tanks filled with water or ice, that can capture the rare interactions between neutrinos and other particles. These interactions produce tiny flashes of light that can be detected by sensitive instruments.

3. What is the importance of studying neutrinos?

Studying neutrinos can help us understand the fundamental laws of the universe, such as the laws of particle physics and the nature of matter. Neutrinos can also provide information about the origins of the universe and the processes occurring in stars and supernovae.

4. How do we know that neutrinos have mass?

Scientists have conducted experiments, such as the Super-Kamiokande experiment in Japan, that have shown that neutrinos can change from one type to another, a phenomenon known as neutrino oscillation. This can only occur if neutrinos have mass.

5. Can neutrinos be used for practical applications?

Although neutrinos have very little interaction with matter, they are being used in various fields such as astronomy and geology. Neutrino detectors can also be used to monitor nuclear reactors and to study the Earth's interior. However, further research is needed to fully harness the potential of neutrinos for practical applications.