Questions on number theory

In summary: They usually have a pretty comprehensive database of published mathematical works. You might also want to look for a specific paper or book by Vinogradov on the Goldbach conjecture.
eljose
let be the Dirichlet series in the form:

[tex]g(s)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a(n)n^{-s} [/tex] my question is if there is a relationship between g(1-s) and g(s) for any L-Dirichlet series.

another question...where could i find Vinogradov,s work on Goldbach conjecture?..thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
eljose said:
let be the Dirichlet series in the form:

[tex]g(s)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a(n)n^{-s} [/tex] my question is if there is a relationship between g(1-s) and g(s) for any L-Dirichlet series.

of course there is, though it may not be nice adn interesting.

eljose said:

Not necessarily a nice one like the functional equations for Zeta or Dirichlet L-functions, and the question might not always even make sense. If the series for g(s) does not converge everywhere, g(1-s) won't make sense everywhere g(s) does, you have to consider if g can be extended to the entire plane.

You might want to look up what's usually called the Selberg class, it's an attempt to generalize the usual cast of L-functions.

eljose said:
another question...where could i find Vinogradov,s work on Goldbach conjecture?..thanks.

Have you tried searching MathSciNet?

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers and other whole numbers. It includes topics such as prime numbers, divisibility, and modular arithmetic.

2. What is the importance of number theory?

Number theory has numerous applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and geometry.

3. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

A prime number is a positive integer that has exactly two distinct factors, 1 and itself. A composite number is a positive integer that has more than two distinct factors. For example, 7 is a prime number because its only factors are 1 and 7, while 12 is a composite number because it has 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12 as factors.

4. How do you determine if a number is prime?

One way to determine if a number is prime is to check if it is divisible by any number other than 1 and itself. Another method is to use a sieve, such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes, which eliminates multiples of prime numbers to find all prime numbers up to a given limit.

5. What is the Goldbach conjecture?

The Goldbach conjecture is a famous unsolved problem in number theory, which states that every even integer greater than 2 can be written as the sum of two prime numbers. Despite being checked for millions of cases, it remains unproven and is considered one of the most intriguing problems in mathematics.