Are My Calculations on Streamlines Accurate?

• Thread starter 01jbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about streamlines and the correctness of the equations being used. The person is seeking help with understanding the relationships between variables and using them correctly in equations for cases A, B, and C. They have calculated the streamlines for cases A and B as tan(A) and -1/tan(theta), respectively, but are unsure if they are correct. For both cases B and C, the person needs to use the relationship dy/dx = (dr/dtheta) / (dr/dx) to calculate the streamlines, and for case C, the correct streamline is tan(theta).
01jbell
hey

i am doing questions on streamlines and i don't know if what i have done is right

A , Uniform Flow at angle : u = i U cos A + j U sin A , where U,A are constants

for this what i used was dy/dx = v/u which becomes u sin A / u Cos A = tan( A)
hence the stream line is tan (A) is this right

B) Line Vortex: u = k/r * etheta
C) source m/r er

NB: for (b) and (c): k is a constant, r2 = x2 +y2, tan (theta) = y/x and er and etheta are the unit vectors in the radial and circumferential directions, respectively
and for B i got -1/tan(theta) and C i got tan(theta) which does not seem right can i have some help

Physics news on Phys.org
? For both cases B and C, you need to use the relationship dy/dx = (dr/dtheta) / (dr/dx). For a line vortex, dr/dtheta = k/r and dr/dx = -y/x. So dy/dx = -k/xr^2. For a source, dr/dtheta = 1/r and dr/dx = x/r^2. So dy/dx = x/r^2.

1. What are streamlines?

Streamlines are imaginary lines that represent the flow direction of a fluid. They are used in fluid mechanics to visualize the movement of a fluid in a particular system.

2. How are streamlines different from streaklines and pathlines?

Streamlines, streaklines, and pathlines are all used to visualize fluid flow, but they represent different aspects of the flow. Streamlines show the instantaneous direction of the flow at a specific point, while streaklines show the path of particles that have passed through a specific point, and pathlines show the actual path that a particle takes over time.

3. What is the significance of streamlines in fluid mechanics?

Streamlines help us understand the behavior of a fluid in a system and can be used to predict its future movement. They also allow us to identify regions of turbulence or separation in the flow.

4. How are streamlines calculated?

Streamlines are calculated by first defining a velocity field for the fluid and then using mathematical equations to determine the direction of the flow at each point. This process is known as solving the streamline equation.

5. Can streamlines be used in all types of fluids?

Streamlines can be used to visualize the flow of any type of fluid, whether it is a liquid or a gas. However, they are most commonly used in incompressible fluids, as they assume a constant density throughout the flow.