Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on Topological Insulators, confused on some terminologies

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    Hi all!

I am currently reading stuff related to quantum hall effect and topological insulators, and have a couple of questions.

1. I read about that band insulators can be classified into two types: topological trivial insulators and topological non-trivial insulators. And there is a topological index related. And I kind of confused with several terms, the Chern number, topological invariants and TKNN number/invariants, stuff like that (I saw these terms over various materials again and again, but I can hardly find one that is simple enough for me to digest.) Are they referring to the same system? And I would like to ask the difference between 2D topological insulator and Quantum hall states as well.

2. I know that topology is involved when we change the Hamiltonian adiabatically, so Berry phase idea follows naturally, but I knid of dun understand why we can consider a gauge transformation in this case?

3. The edge state, how spin-momentum locking possible? This part is kind of important I guess, coz it after all explains why that state is conducting.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted