1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on Vectors

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two questions on vectors:
    1) Does the magnitude of a vector vary depending on how one chooses a reference frame?
    2) Can a component of a vector be negative?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) No, because regardless of the reference frame, the magnitude is always the same?
    2) Yes, say if the vector points -y or -x or -z
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2
    1) is wrong, I think.

because what if frame of reference is also moving at the velocity of v, where v is the velocity of the object being observed?..
  4. Sep 4, 2007 #3
    Yeah, that makes sense. But doesn't the vector remain the same? For example, if I have a vector of 5m/s north, it remains that vector whether or not the reference frame is stationery earth or a train moving at 10m/s north... Or is the question asking like the magnitude of the object and not the vector? Sorry, I'm confusing.
  5. Sep 4, 2007 #4
    I am not sure if they are asking for resultant vector, or that original vector... (refer to those relatve motion questions)
    mag. of the resultant != mag of org

yea, otherwise org. vectors remains that same vector unless some force is applied to it..
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?