1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding GPA and grad schools

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    Hi. I am currently studying pure mathematics in the University of Waterloo, Canada. I am graduating next year and I wish to study pure or applied mathematics in States. I have some questions about my GPA and grad schools in States that I may apply to. If I suppose that I can keep up the grades I received in 3rd year, then my overall GPA is 3.60 and my math GPA is 3.77(out of 4.0).

My overall GPA is somewhat low but I did extremely well in 3rd year(3.95). So I am wondering how helpful would it be to have high upper year grades.

Also, I have participated in some researches(4 months) and I think I can get a not-too-bad recommendation letters(not fantastic ones though). And I wonder what range of universities in States I should aim for.

So, here are my questions:
    1. If I can keep up the grades I got in 3rd year, then I will have
    -GPA overall : 3.60
    -GPA math : 3.77
    -GPA upper years(3,4) : 3.95
    So, even though I have low overall GPA, do you think I can still stand a chance? Will having high upper year GPA make a big difference?

2. What's the approximate range of math grad schools in States I can realistically aim for?
    (for instance, around top 50)

Thank you very much for the time.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted