Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding infinity

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    I have a few questions regarding infinity. Its pretty long so I thought of putting it up on my site instead of here, sorry about that.

The URL is: http://deydas.com/blog/archives/4-What-is-infinity.html .

Can anybody answer my question please?!

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I think I can simplify. Infinity is an unphysical result. That it is to say it is meaningless in this universe. It is a concept that has no counterpart in perceptual reality. Much like the concept of 'nothing' or 'everything' in philosophy. In science, unphysical models of perceptual reality are routinely disregarded. They cannot be quantified, hence have no predictive power in this universe.
  4. Jan 19, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The simplest way to grasp the definition (and like all maths that's all this is) is to only ever use the word infinite, as in not finite, instead of trying to shoe horn in "infinity" which, mathematically, is just a shorthand for behaviour that is unbounded.

Rather than say "there is an infinity of natural numbers", instead think "the set of natural numbers is infinite" ie "the set of natural numbers is not finite".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?