Op Amp Circuit Dilemmas: Diodes, Current, and Resistors Explained

In summary,In summary, a resistor is used between an LED and an Op Amp output to limit the current to the LED.
Faiq
Q1. Why do we connect the Diode 2 in the Op Amp- Relay Circuits? (Check the image )
Q2. Why shouldn't a high current pass through an Op Amp?
Q3. Why should there be a resistor in between an LED and an Op Amp output?

Attachments

• Op Amp with relay.jpg
    Op Amp with relay.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 887
Engineering news on Phys.org
Q1: that 'freewheeling' diode belongs to the relay, not related with the opamp. You do that to every relay, to handle the voltage spike when you switch off the relay.
Q2: the load (current, voltage) on the opamp output should be lower than the maximal allowable. The 'high' here depends on the type of the opamp.
Q3: that resistor belongs to the LED, not to the opamp. The current on the LED should be limited, according to the LED type & opamp output voltage.

Rive said:
Q1: that 'freewheeling' diode belongs to the relay, not related with the opamp. You do that to every relay, to handle the voltage spike when you switch off the relay.
Q2: the load (current, voltage) on the opamp output should be lower than the maximal allowable. The 'high' here depends on the type of the opamp.
Q3: that resistor belongs to the LED, not to the opamp. The current on the LED should be limited, according to the LED type & opamp output voltage.
Q2. Why is there a maximal allowable value?
Q3. My book stated that large currents through LED can damage both Op Amp (Because it is connected in series with LED) and the LED? Is that wrong?

Faiq said:
Q3. My book stated that large currents through LED can damage both Op Amp (Because it is connected in series with LED) and the LED? Is that wrong?

How about if you post an opamp datasheet so we can show you where in that datasheet are the answers to your questions?

eg

upload_2017-2-24_8-26-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-24_8-25-28.png
    upload_2017-2-24_8-25-28.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 495
Faiq said:
Q2: It's what the actual device can/guaranteed to bear at most. The values are available in the device datasheet, or more likely: you will chose devices, which fits your design requirements.
Q3: It's true. However, typically it's the LED which is more sensitive to current, at least while it's still a 'LED' and not a dysfunctional piece of short circuit - which would bring down the opamp too if the limiting resistor is not present.

jim hardy said:
How about if you post an opamp datasheet so we can show you where in that datasheet are the answers to your questions?

eg

View attachment 113669
I don't have a datasheet. I am simply making questions regarding the statements made in a A Levels book.

Sentence 1: "...Once the output of an Op Amp is higher than an acceptable value, the current in the LED and the op amp will be very high and this will damage both of them."In your example, does the term short circuit can also be replaced with high current?

Not sure of your basic electronic knowledge, but there is Ohm's Law and the same law for diodes. For diodes, you want a resistor in series with the power source that will drop all the supplied voltage with the exception of the forward voltage drop of the diode. Since you do not have the data sheet for these parts, you can assume that the LED has about a 2 volt forward bias drop. Subtract this voltage from your supply voltage, assume that the maximum safe forward biased current through the LED is about 20 milliamps, then solve for the value of "R" using the formula R=E/I, "E" being voltage and "I" being current. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Faiq said:
I am simply making questions regarding the statements made in a A Levels book.

I shouldn't have been short.

richard lareva said:
Since you do not have the data sheet for these parts, you can assume that the LED has about a 2 volt forward bias drop. Subtract this voltage from your supply voltage, assume that the maximum safe forward biased current through the LED is about 20 milliamps, then solve for the value of "R" using the formula R=E/I, "E" being voltage and "I" being current. Any more questions feel free to ask.

As rl says, we're unsure of your familiarity with basics. And we don't know how good are explanations in your A level book.
Faiq said:
Q3. Why should there be a resistor in between an LED and an Op Amp output?
Have you yet learned "ideal voltage source" ? It can deliver infinite current.
Of course there's no such thing in the real world, but we do use ideal parts in our imaginary thought experiments.

So as rl explained , an ideal voltage source will deliver whatever current is necessary to satisfy its desired terminal voltage. That current might be quite large.
While that large current won't hurt an ideal part it sure could wreck a real one.
The opamp will do its best to mimic an ideal voltage source .
As a circuit designer you don't want your opamp to die trying, so you include in your circuit enough resistance to cause just the right current for just the right voltage. That protects both the opamp and the LED.

It's that simple.

old jim

jim hardy said:
I shouldn't have been short.
As rl says, we're unsure of your familiarity with basics. And we don't know how good are explanations in your A level book.

Have you yet learned "ideal voltage source" ? It can deliver infinite current.
Of course there's no such thing in the real world, but we do use ideal parts in our imaginary thought experiments.

So as rl explained , an ideal voltage source will deliver whatever current is necessary to satisfy its desired terminal voltage. That current might be quite large.
While that large current won't hurt an ideal part it sure could wreck a real one.
The opamp will do its best to mimic an ideal voltage source .
As a circuit designer you don't want your opamp to die trying, so you include in your circuit enough resistance to cause just the right current for just the right voltage. That protects both the opamp and the LED.

It's that simple.

old jim
Thank you very much for your perfect explanation. Please see if I understood this correctly. An amplifier has a zero output impendence, so the current coming out of an amplifier is very large. The large current can destroy an LED if a limiting resistor is not present.
Apologies for bothering you this much but I just have one last question. A very low input current is fed to an amplifier and a very high current is obtained. Does this not violate Kirchoff's Law of Charge conservation?

Faiq said:
An amplifier has a zero output impendence
No, it has a very low output impedance if it is any good, but not zero

so the current coming out of an amplifier is very large.
That depends on the load and in any case is limited to the capability of the power source.

The large current can destroy an LED if a limiting resistor is not present.
Yes, BUT only if it is created by a large voltage. Amplifiers normally amplify voltage, not current.

A very low input current is fed to an amplifier and a very high current is obtained. Does this not violate Kirchoff's Law of Charge conservation?
No, because the extra current is not being created out of thin air, it is coming from the power supply.

phinds said:
No, because the extra current is not being created out of thin air, it is coming from the power supply.
If the Power supply is providing a current 1A, does this mean the highest value attainable by the current at output of amplifier is 1A?

Faiq said:
If the Power supply is providing a current 1A, does this mean the highest value attainable by the current at output of amplifier is 1A?
Yes, but the way you phrased your question still implies some confusion. The power supply doesn't supply 1 amp unless it is needed, so the proper way to think of it is that the power supply is CAPABLE of supplying 1 amp, in which case the output of the amplifier is limited to 1 amp. And, really, the rest of the amplifier circuit will take some current to operate, so the output would be limited to something less than 1 amp.

phinds said:
Yes, but the way you phrased your question still implies some confusion. The power supply doesn't supply 1 amp unless it is needed, so the proper way to think of it is that the power supply is CAPABLE of supplying 1 amp, in which case the output of the amplifier is limited to 1 amp. And, really, the rest of the amplifier circuit will take some current to operate, so the output would be limited to something less than 1 amp.
Ah so technically the power supply can supply any current, it just depend on the resistance of the whole circuit.

Faiq said:
Ah so technically the power supply can supply any current, it just depend on the resistance of the whole circuit.
NO. The power supply can supply whatever current it is designed for. Within that limit, it can supply any amount from zero up to that amount. If the limit is 1 amp then that's all it can supply.

phinds said:
NO. The power supply can supply whatever current it is designed for. Within that limit, it can supply any amount from zero up to that amount. If the limit is 1 amp then that's all it can supply.
Oh yeah right. Thank you very much for clarifying this.

Faiq said:

Faiq said:

You seem to have a stuck "post" button. I just saw that you posted another thread about 5 times. You should check on that.

Yeah I notified the moderator, he fixed the problem.

Faiq said:
Yeah I notified the moderator, he fixed the problem.
But you did it again in this thread, is why I was pointing it out.

Okay I wll restart the browser. Maybe that will solve it

1. What is an opamp and how does it work?

An opamp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It consists of a high-gain differential amplifier and other components that allow it to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and integration.

2. What are the common applications of opamps?

Opamps are used in a wide range of electronic circuits, including audio amplifiers, filters, oscillators, comparators, and voltage regulators. They are also commonly used in signal processing, instrumentation, and control systems.

3. What are the ideal characteristics of an opamp?

An ideal opamp has infinite open-loop gain, infinite input impedance, zero output impedance, and zero input offset voltage. It also has infinite bandwidth and can handle infinite input signal levels without distortion.

4. How do I choose the right opamp for my circuit?

The selection of an opamp depends on the specific requirements of your circuit, such as the desired gain, bandwidth, input and output impedance, and power supply requirements. It is important to carefully read the datasheet and compare different opamps before making a selection.

5. How do I analyze and troubleshoot opamp circuits?

Opamp circuits can be analyzed using basic circuit analysis techniques, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. Troubleshooting opamp circuits involves checking for proper power supply voltages, input and output signals, and component values. It is also important to check for proper grounding and connections. Using simulation software can also help in analyzing and troubleshooting opamp circuits.